My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the Double post folks, Im new at this stuff

I Have a new to me '59 Oliver 550.

tore it down a bit Ie: , flushed fuel tank and rad, dissasembled and cleaned carb, charged up an ol battery, new trans fluid and hydraulic fluid.
Started it up and it ran great for about an hour.
then while i was getting my meter to check charging system it died. and now wont start. I have suspect spark as fuel is getting there and starter is turning well by key. the question I am hoping to get answered here is this....
I get voltage across the coil terminal from batter pos to coil neg until I turn the key to the on position, then the voltage dissapears.
why is this? anyone know? I assume clutch safety is out of question as the starter turns freely under key but no spark which I assume is because there is no voltage at coil when key is turned.
related to this there is a white doo hickey under neath the ignition switch which looks like it could have been a kill switch or something and I only get voltage at coil when i put a screwdriver in this doohickey. but it still goes away when the key is turned to on yesterday when the tractor ran i did not need a screwdriver in the doohickey.

:)

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Tarik

Attachments

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
When measuring voltage at the coil terminal, it goes to ZERO when the points are closed.

Possibly the "doo hickey" was a switch to bypass full battery voltage to the ign.coil when cranking?

A picture of the ign. coil wiring may be useful to see if anything has been added.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the insight.
do the points close when the starter is cranking?
maybe the doo hickey has something to do with the resistor circuit is what you are suggesting?
I think I may have to replace the old wires and coil and points and start fresh to avoid too much time. I checked ohms at coil and found 1.5ohm at primary and 0 at secondary
the 12 volts thing still doesnt make sense to me tho. I would have thought 12 volts would show up at coil when the key was turned , not opposite. but simpler things have confused me before :)
cheers
T

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bill,
still trying to figure out doo hickey.
ive attached a pic of it and it seems to go from ign switch to alternator
any idea what it is and how to use it?
Im not sure if I should bypass it when i rewire a bit today

Attachments

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
You will have 12V at the coil + with the key ON.
At the coil - terminal, you'll have 12V when the points are open and 0 when they are closed, since the points ground the coil -

Since the alternator is a rewire job, I wouldn't attempt to guess on what has been done there. No alternators in 1959.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Bill,
I rewired the whole tractor.
was easy enough.
now i have really high idle and unsteady. I suspect gov linkage. will look tmr.
also while it was running i tested hydraulics with a blade on it. and it was hunting up and down on the rear arms.
maybe a seal? aslo I re bult the front cylinders and the dont seem to be moving :)
any advice ? do i bleed them?
thanks
T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts