My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a new to me '59 Oliver 550.

tore it down a bit Ie: , flushed fuel tank and rad, dissasembled and cleaned carb, charged up an ol battery, new trans fluid and hydraulic fluid.
Started it up and it ran great for about an hour.
then while i was getting my meter to check charging system it died. and now wont start. I have suspect spark as fuel is getting there and starter is turning well by key. the question I am hoping to get answered here is this....
I get voltage across the coil terminal from batter pos to coil neg until I turn the key to the on position, then the voltage dissapears.
why is this? anyone know? I assume clutch safety is out of question as the starter turns freely under key but no spark which I assume is because there is no voltage at coil when key is turned.
related to this there is a white doo hickey under neath the ignition switch which looks like it could have been a kill switch or something and I only get voltage at coil when i put a screwdriver in this doohickey. but it still goes away when the key is turned to on yesterday when the tractor ran i did not need a screwdriver in the doohickey.

:)

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Tarik

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'm not home looking at mine, but i did find the following schematic:

i would guess that is one of those devices in serial from the ignition to the starter - likely that "safety switch" i'd start tracing wires from there?

Note, i am making the assumption that your system is still set up as factory - with the switch in place. I don't remember seeing that on my 61 - it could have been omitted via model year, or i haven't noticed it, but it could also have been removed by a previous owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Sueadr!
I ended up replacing all the wiring, new coil, and points and wires and plugs.
the doo hickey was a dummy light put in line with the exiter for the alternator. it lights up and goes out when charging.

starts up perfect.
now trying to adjust carb floats and idle and air to get running ok. seems to be a bit searchy or hunting for fuel etc.

getting there!
next is hydraulics.
cheers
T

·
Registered
147 Posts
thanks Sueadr!
I ended up replacing all the wiring, new coil, and points and wires and plugs.
the doo hickey was a dummy light put in line with the exiter for the alternator. it lights up and goes out when charging.

starts up perfect.
now trying to adjust carb floats and idle and air to get running ok. seems to be a bit searchy or hunting for fuel etc.

getting there!
next is hydraulics.
cheers
T
do you have the cleaner to carb hose on tight with no leaks? mine was cracked and made the idle lopey. replaced it and it straightened up considerably. wouldn't think a little bit of a leak would make that much difference, but i guess it can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts