My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Smiths Station area
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this old 58 ride o matic from my dad. i have power to the coil and pulse to the neg side of the coil, but no spark. i tried another truck coil and it just got hot, but still made no spark. what now?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I would try a different spark plug and then a different plug wire with the original coil.

Jason

·
Smiths Station area
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed both wire and plug a couple times. i am thinking a VW type coil since they are internally regualted.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You do need a ballast resistor if the coil does not have one.

Jason

·
Young collector
9 Posts
I have seen on a few of these that the ground is controlled with the key for on/off. it makes connection to ground to run and breaks said connection to shut off. also check polarity to be sure. Check over the entire ignition just to be safe as well. start off with the most basic (points and condenser if it has one) and move from there.

·
Smiths Station area
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coil i am using actually says not to use the external with this coil. before i ever got ahold of it dad just wired the coil hot to the battery and fired it up. i added a toggle switch so it can stay wired up. it was working fine. i put a test light on the neg side of the coil and then with the spark plug out i can turn it by hand and the light comes on every turn. whether it is supposed to fire while it is getting power or not getting power i don't know but it is cycling on and off. i am pretty sure that the cycle should be firing the coil. even with my multimeter in the coil i get nothing. that is why i am thinking i need a coil but i am pretty sure you cant just run to autozone for a '58 bolens coil.

i am going to call my uncle who had it new and was a dealer and serviced these things and see what he says, but any ideas would be great.

·
Smiths Station area
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off the phone with my uncle and he agrees with the points idea. he was actually able to describe exactly where to look for them and everything. should have called him first!

·
Registered
251 Posts
If its not the points, then i had the same problem i had a john deere with good everything power everywhere and no spark. I changed the ignition switch and it sparked like no tomorrow and switchs are like 12 dollars.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Definitely check points, condenser and plugs. Then go on to the switch. I had a bad switch. I needed to short out two terminals then it would spark when you turned the key to the start position after it started all would be fine but no spark while cranking over unless you shorted out the terminals....

·
Smiths Station area
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind we are talking about 1958. this old girl doesn't have an ignition switch. i am going out today to install the new points and i will let yall know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts