My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the oil for my first time on my 1956 IH 300 utility soon.
I'm kind of a newbie at this.
I just bought it a couple weeks ago.
I have a few questions.
Where is the motor oil fill cap?
I see a cap by the distributer?
Is that the oil fill cap or the hydraulic pump oil cap?
I asked the older gentlemen I bought it from what kind of oil use.
He said just 10w-30 will work and it wont effect older tractors.
I have heard straight 30 non-detergent is best for older tractors. Thought?
What kind of oil filter do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
The oil fill cap should be ahead of the distributor/hydraulic pump. If he's been using 10w-30 in it, probably best to stick with it, although, I've pretty much got everything here on 15w-40.

OEM part number for the oil filter is 376374R91, which crosses to a Fram C135, or a Wix 51172, with Wix being one of the best. About any auto parts store, even Tractor Supply, or Rural King should carry them. The Wix filter will run you approx. $12.00, but if you don't mind shopping online, Rockauto has them for $6.20, which is quite a savings. Doesn't hurt to have a spare on the shelf, if you plan to keep it. https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,51172,filter,8600

I've also attached a lube chart for the 300 Utility, and similar IH models. It gives all of the lube capacities, and points of lubrication, as far as greasing.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil fill cap should be ahead of the distributor/hydraulic pump. If he's been using 10w-30 in it, probably best to stick with it, although, I've pretty much got everything here on 15w-40.

OEM part number for the oil filter is 376374R91, which crosses to a Fram C135, or a Wix 51172, with Wix being one of the best. About any auto parts store, even Tractor Supply, or Rural King should carry them. The Wix filter will run you approx. $12.00, but if you don't mind shopping online, Rockauto has them for $6.20, which is quite a savings. Doesn't hurt to have a spare on the shelf, if you plan to keep it. https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,51172,filter,8600

I've also attached a lube chart for the 300 Utility, and similar IH models. It gives all of the lube capacities, and points of lubrication, as far as greasing.
Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
No Oil Filter - Use Non-Detergent Oils.
Has a filter - Use Regular Oils.

The detergent in motor oils are used to hold the abrasive black particles of soot in suspension until they were caught and held by the oil filter, which basically helps clean your engine.
If the fellow you got it from was running a regular 10W-30 in it, that would be a detergent type oil so your engine should be clean on the insides with little to no danger of causing damage from crud being knocked loose.
Most in here will tell you to run this or that weight of motor oils or a particular brand because one has more zinc in it and so on and so forth.
If it were mine, I'd just go get my favorite brand of 10W-30 or a good Detergent type of 30 weight and run it.

Just my 2 cents,,,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Oil Filter - Use Non-Detergent Oils.
Has a filter - Use Regular Oils.

The detergent in motor oils are used to hold the abrasive black particles of soot in suspension until they were caught and held by the oil filter, which basically helps clean your engine.
If the fellow you got it from was running a regular 10W-30 in it, that would be a detergent type oil so your engine should be clean on the insides with little to no danger of causing damage from crud being knocked loose.
Most in here will tell you to run this or that weight of motor oils or a particular brand because one has more zinc in it and so on and so forth.
If it were mine, I'd just go get my favorite brand of 10W-30 or a good Detergent type of 30 weight and run it.

Just my 2 cents,,,
Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts