My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water in the oil i got the tractor and had been sitting outside it was my dads but it is not coolant what should i do to before i put new oil in and try to start thanks for any imput

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Vertical exhaust with no clapper? You can try draining the oil/filter. replace and check. If water in new oil Possibly head gasket/cracked head.

Kirk

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
Remove the oil filter, drain the old oil and get rid of both, some auto parts stores and TSC take used oil. Put a new filter on and add the correct amount of oil (I'd make one quart ATF). Run it like normal unless you added the ATF then drain the oil after running it about an hour to get rid of all the junk that was trapped in the engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My worry was all the sludge that was in there but i put a gallon of straight seafoam in there and let it set over night it came out black but there are no more stringy looking globs coming out by the way why is there a screen in the drain hole and kirk it has a vertical exhaust but it has a flapper i think it got in through the breather on the valve cover because the hole on it was facing up

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like you just had condensation in the engine from sitting outside. I would put a new filter on it and fill it with oil. Run it about 5 minutes and check the dipstick, if you still have fresh oil on the dipstick go ahead and let it run another 15 to 20 minutes at a higher RPM and re-check. Hopefully your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It needs a head gasket or so i am told i want to get it running and do some comp test but i have no spark even with new points condenser cap rotor plugs and coil must me ignition wiring

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine needs a new head gasket(sitting in a box waiting for this weekend). When I drained my oil, I loosened the drain plug just enough for the liquid to start flowing. I had about a cup of bright green antifreeze drain out before the milky oil started draining. I would try an oil change first before you start going for the head gasket. Did you check the radiator to see what color the antifreeze was?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The antifreeze is green but dad said it got hot and then started seeping oil from in between the head and block im hoping i dont have a cracked head how hard is the head gasket to do i have a factory service manual for it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not hard at all. Make sure you have a torque wrench and the manual will tell you the tightening sequence. I am taking the head to a machine shop to test for cracks and warping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was trying to get her running when the starter started smoking and quit took it apart and some spring steel clips fell out(broken) it looks like they hold brushes in how hard is a starter rebuild

1 - 11 of 11 Posts