My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum,
I obtained a 1955 L model that had been sitting for many years. Once I got it running, the Hi/Lo clutch was stuck in hi and the lever would not move. I separated the engine from the transmission and got the clutch freed up but after I put it back together, I had to adjust the rod all the way to the top to get it into high and it will not stay in low unless I physically hold the lever. I'm thinking that I possibly incorrectly positioned the teeth on the clutch rod. Could someone give me some insight on this?
Thank You.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I had to rebuild the differential when I found rounded off teeth on one of the gears. Wasn’t difficult, but definitely scary for a newcomer like me. I posted pics of the parts list showing the affected gears.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Welcome Jacumba!

It's a little hard to tell from your description. Some pix might help.

Based on the symptom, it could be several things. It's possible you have the clutch actuating shaft off by a tooth. But it's also possible the actuating shaft lever is out of alignment. Or that the pushrod adjustment springs are way off.

I suggest you read the manuals on gravelymanuals.com. You'll find info on how to set up the clutches, adjust the springs etc. Just start from first principles. I'd remove the pushrod, and try working the lever by hand. Does it move from neutral about 1/2" in either direction? that's about right. Is it oriented the right way? If not, adjust it. Then try the pushrod, and adjust the locknuts to push and hold the lever up against either end of its travel.

My guess is if you do that stuff, you'll be in business.

If that doesn't work, then yes, you probably have to pull the engine again, and twist the actuator shaft to the point where you can get the teeth right. Then button it up and readjust the rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the reply. When I get home I will check that. How do you know if you have the teeth correctly aligned? At what position should the lever be in when it is in neutral?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
The external lever is just clamped on to the end of the actuator shaft. You can put it in any position you want.

If you didn't move it, it should be approximately perpendicular to the pushrod. Look at the manuals. The pix there will tell you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thank you for the reply. I have not moved the lever. I didnt know whether the lever was keyed to the shaft or not. I will check these things on Saturday and let you know if it worked. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts