My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the left main bearing. Behind the flywheel there are two pieces the main bearing housing and the oil slinger housing. In the bottom of the main bearing housing there is a hole in the bottom. When the engine is running oil pores out of this hole. Does anyone have any idea why? Also if you plug this hole will it hurt anything? So far no one I have talked to seems to know anything about this hole or what it is for. It looks like it has always been there, not like someone drilled it.

Thanks for any infomation

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
Can you post a picture of the hole so I know what to look for? We have a parts JD 50 that I can look at.

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
I went out and look at our 50. Is this the hole your talking about? The hole in the bottom of the main bearing housing appears to be a blind hole. I tried blowing air through it and nothing goes through. I would make sure that its leaking out of that hole and not the slinger cover gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is the hole. The oil is defintely coming out of it and not the gasket. We put a plug in the hole and it stopped leaking, but we were concerned that plugging could cause some other problems.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
I went ahead and pulled the main bearing housing. That hole has a dowel driven into it. Without that plug , the oil to that main will just pour out, possibly starving the rest of the engine for oil. This must have fallen out or wasn't put back after someone worked on it. I'm thinking it locates the main bearing so the oil holes line up and also keep it from spinning and blocking the oil passages.. Have to be careful when installing it because it can be driven in to far and hit the crank journal. I would check with a JD dealer for the part. See pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I agree that is what it looks like happened. We had new mains installed by someone else and they didn't put the plug back. Ordered some plugs but they were to small. threaded the hole and put a plug in it which should work just fine.

Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
Sounds good. Hope that gets you back in business.

I can see how it would be easy to overlook that piece. :duh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts