My Tractor Forum banner

1952 Ford 8N value

10K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe NE Texas 
#1 ·
Guys, I have no idea about current day value of something such as this. Does having 12 speeds make that much difference? It's a tractor not a race car. Please give me your over all opinion regarding the price for the tractor and attachments...
Thank you very much. http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/1921956370.html

Randy

One other thing, how much would this weigh with the cutter hanging on back? I'm thinking about what size of trailer I would need if I wanted to start cutting small fields etc.

#3 ·
Thanks Ken.
Looks like there all over the place on the value meter.
Is that 12 speed trans something to avoid or is it ok, I'm thinking realiable when I say ok.

#6 ·
Thanks Steve.
Finding parts is always a concern when looking at something so old. It's the same age as me but I could probably find parts for myself easier....but way more costly.

#10 ·
Great, so that cable runs down inside the case, making it a big job to replace.

The seller mentions the PTO upgrade, is that still a standard size? I don't want to be limited to only special implements that can be attached.

Thanks a lot guys.
This little guy is interesting to me because I used to rake hay when I was 16 and it was just cool. It was the first spread frontend tractor I had driven and I felt safer on it than our IH Super C.

Would it be a good tractor to mow say a 5 to 10 acre field?

#11 ·
Great, so that cable runs down inside the case, making it a big job to replace.

The seller mentions the PTO upgrade, is that still a standard size? I don't want to be limited to only special implements that can be attached.

Thanks a lot guys.
This little guy is interesting to me because I used to rake hay when I was 16 and it was just cool. It was the first spread frontend tractor I had driven and I felt safer on it than our IH Super C.

Would it be a good tractor to mow say a 5 to 10 acre field?
PTO upgrade. Kinda depends on who's telling you, as to what he's referring to.
I would call a PTO upgrade a replacement shaft... making it the SAE standard 1 3/8" (stock was 1 1/8")... making it easier to attach implements... although you WILL want to ensure that you've got an ORC (OverRunning Clutch) installed... speaking of which... this *may* be the 'upgrade' that the seller is referring to.

As to mowing... this tractor is ideal for mowing 5 - 10 acres. I just mowed about 10 acres of hay with mine (and my John Deere #5 Power Mower) on Sunday... then raked all that hay on Wednesday.

#13 ·
Thanks guys....
He does mention "new upgraded 1 3/8 pto shaft with new pto overrider clutch"
In his ad.
Is there anything else I should look for on this tractor? Any typical failure items that I should inspect?
Thanks again.

#16 ·
One other thing, how much would this weigh with the cutter hanging on back? I'm thinking about what size of trailer I would need if I wanted to start cutting small fields etc.
From the parts manual:
Shipping weight (including gasoline, oil, water, tires filled
with air, operator not included) 2,410 lbs.

Brush cutter probably about 500 lbs, give or take.

Around 3000 lbs sounds pretty close.

I hauled my 2n on a 18' tandem trailer with 2 axel electric brakes along with a brush cutter, blade and scoop. Pulled it with a 2002 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a tow package. It was a little more than I would normally do over the 70 miles of 2 lane road, but it is doable.

#17 ·
Again....Thank you all very much for the information.

One last question, and maybe the most difficult to answer.......When you already own 4 Cubs and a Sears GTV16, how do you even begin to explain why you would need such a tractor as an 8N when you live on 3/4 acre?
I know, I'm nuts, insane, whatever you want to call it. I like tractors.

#18 ·
You just answered your own question....
"I like tractors"

That's good enough for me.

#20 ·
My Naa has a sherman combo it was instaled when I bought it .I wouldn't pay more for a tractor that had one i have never needed to go slower than first gear or faster than fourth. It changes the pto speed so it is no good for mowing. An 8N is a perfect tractor for a small piece of land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.