My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Negative hot battery wire melted at the terminal. After taking a closer look and seen that the protective coating came off and there was bare wire touching metal, I need to replace the negative wire but don't know the gauge or have a diagram. Can someone drop some knowledge for me? Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local parts store doesn't have the same size I just found out today that it's a 2/0 gauge wire by pulling up the manual for the tractor I just need to find the wire somewhere online no stores around me have that gauge wire someone told me I can use welder wire it's more pliable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could use welder cables if you want since it is rated for high amps. You would just have to add some ends to it. How long was your original cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
82 inches long so I specially ordered a 10 foot piece and I will use the remainder for the positive ground that's about 1 foot I think the previous owner changed the original size with the wrong wire gauge so it couldn't handle the load I have been trying to find the original length but im am having no luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did you order welding cable or ordinary battery cable. I believe that the original length was 87 inches. I found one at steiner tractors. Here is a LINK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thanks I will check into it hopefully I can get oem cables and cancel the other and yes I ordered welding 2/0 gauge cables that can handle 600 volts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also is there another smaller cable connected to the negative line going to the starter I have looked everywhere and cannot find out what this smaller wire was or were it came from?

·
Registered
235 Posts
How long is this wire. I believe that your talking about the wire that leads from the solenoid to the starter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a very small gauge wire it was a little smaller than a tv or light cord and it connected to nothing. I thought maybe the previous owner had a ground on the hot ground wire, but it was not connected to anything. So there is no other wire going from the battery to the starter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts