My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead3, Let me start off by saying HELP. The following are pixs I took of the steering box. By all that is hole there should be a place to put a little oil in the box throgh the hole on the right side of the box. NOT happening. Either too much:drunkie:, or this is not a 51 8N steering box. Please someone shine some light on my problem. :thanku::crybaby:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add insult to injury, the stamped numbers on the right side of the box are 125, I hope that helps. Peering with a flash light through the hole for where the oil is to go is only the flat top of the steering box. Please tell me I don't have a rare vintage steering box. Thanks guys for the help.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Right-hand side.

The bolt that holds the dash to the steering box... Remove it. That's where you put the oil.

Take a look at this picture of my tractor... the bolt with a grease zerk in it is the one that you will remove. It is a through hole into the steering box.

This is the bolt to look for in the above picture...

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
BTW...

I don't know about the casting numbers, but... you DO have a later model (adjustable) steering box... that would be correct to your tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Right-hand side.

The bolt that holds the dash to the steering box... Remove it. That's where you put the oil.

Take a look at this picture of my tractor... the bolt with a grease zerk in it is the one that you will remove. It is a through hole into the steering box.

This is the bolt to look for in the above picture...

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you make this bolt?

Or where did you get it? Great idea!!
I hear most people like to us JD cornoil or something like that. Thick but not to thick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After reading a previous posts about lubing the steering box (8N), I made a bolt with a fitting. My first try was to drill the bolt and use a drive in 3/16 fitting. No good, the fitting just pulled out of the bolt when I tried to remove the grease gun.

NEXT: Got a new bolt, drilled it out (bench press), used a #3 drill, tapped it for a 1/4 inch threaded grease fitting. This worked out much better, the fitting stayed put when I pulled the grease gun off.

I got JD Cornoil lube from the local JD Dealer, $3 a tube. I bought three tubes...used two. Pumped it until it came out of the top of the steering column (with the steering wheel removed).

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Did you make this bolt?

Or where did you get it? Great idea!!
I hear most people like to us JD cornoil or something like that. Thick but not to thick.
I did not. There's a guy that was selling them (at one time, anyway) on eBay. I don't remember now, if I bought from him... or had a (machinist) friend of mine make mine :hide:... hey... it's been a while!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I made one from the exsisting bolt, took a long time to drill through but it worked, than tapped it for a zerk, and i used a drill press to do it so it wasnt too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It is one of those things Henry should have done but is easy enough for us to farmerize.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It looked pretty easy I figured if I could buy on on the cheap thats what I would want to do. ( I dont have a tap and die set...at least not yet.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help and pixs on the subject. I'll keep working on it. May have to remove a few things to get a better look inside that area. Thanks again to all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts