My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
Great info jrd. Thanks for bringing the potential PTO issue to my attention.
It's easy enough to add the pin. Just drill a 3/8" hole in the center of that mounting plate, and stick a 2" bolt through there. You can see what gravely did for those by looking at the mounting plate on your cultivator attachment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't read everyone's responses yet but I've made several straps. Heck in a pinch (such as last year when the chain broke on my starter) I simply used a strap from a cheap ratchet strap i had with me. Believe it or not- hold the hook or sometimes if its a big hook the eye of the hook (where it's connected to the strap) on the pin and make a wrap of the strap over it. It will stay on and you do 3 or so more wraps and PULL!... Well it works!
Otherwise I've used straps from old boat covers or old ratchet strap material as above. Generally nylon. I get metal grommets from Joanne's fabric shops or a good hardware store. Once I've cut the hole and hammered the metal grommet together i actually heat it up with a match (or soldering gun) to melt any frayed nylon and bond it all together.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A lot of useful information is at the gravely tractor club of america. Yes if impulse kicks it over right at tdc or just a little after. Way early may give a kick back. Way late means less power and possible heating. I would suspect other causes for running hot at this point first.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pulled the carb today, it looks pretty clean much to my surprise. I blew out the jets and galleys with compressed air. I am dipping both halves and all acociated parts. I am planning on making a shoebox gasket for the bowl and the carb to intake. Any other options for home made gaskets?? I agree I don’t think the overheating situation is due to timing. What about a valve not seating properly??

·
Registered
672 Posts
There has to be some other symptoms besides thinking it's hot?

When the oil gets too hot it gets thin and the engine starts developing a knock?

When it gets hot the clearances in the engine get too far off and it starts losing power and not running correctly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes there was it was not purring like a kitten either. I was holding off on putting any money into it till I found out if it will run. I have high hopes that the (too hot, and not running to my satisfaction) are carb and fuel related. I also picked up a new head gasket for it today. Well I got 2 head gaskets, jug gasket, a proper pull cord, intake and exhaust gaskets, PTO engage gasket, attachment gasket, and a few other miscellaneous parts off of CL today for $20. So I will be pulling the head again and putting a new gasket on.
Also It was mentioned to clean the factory oil filter out so I pulled that off and drained it, any tips on how to clean it out? It felt quite heavy.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
Re oil filter, my attempts to clean those old cannister filters have involved back-flushing with gasoline. It's messy and not fast. Those filters were never designed to be cleaned, just toss it and replace. Can't do that now because they're NLA :(

I should note that there's nothing preventing you from finding an adapter and changing it over to spin on. Many of these units have been updated that way. I haven't done a couple of my older units, because I like the idea of keeping them stock if I can.

If you update the oil filter, pay attention to the oil line plumbing. There's lots of good info here and on the gravely manuals site about that.

All that said: I'd ignore anything to do with the oil filter while you're getting it running. It's a bypass system; the main output of the oil pump goes to the main bearing and the return line at the front clutch pack. Only bypass oil goes through the filter; if the filter is totally clogged, it's still pumping oil to the rest of the machine. Make sure there's enough oil in it, then put that set of issues aside until you have the rest sorted out.

You haven't said *why* you think it's running hot. It's an air-cooled engine, it's never going to be put-your-hand-on-it warm while running. Is it so hot you can't get near it? Smoke coming off the jug? Off the case? What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have spent most of my life wrenching on junk, but everything newer than 49. I felt it was too hot because I could feel the heat off of the engine almost 2’ away. Yes the jug and head were smoking. But I did spray various things around the machine and de carbonized the head and jug. I am almost sure the carb had it running lean. I will attempt the tedious oil filter cleaning and see if I can get decent results.
Everybody here has been very helpful, thank you all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow that’s great, guess I have more opportunities to get closer aquatinted with my Gravley. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
If this is your first "L" with a sulky, be careful mowing on uneven ground or you may start signing soprano.
Leaning into a turn helps also as the sulky has a high center of gravity.
The steering sulky is like an amusement park ride.
Mr. Gravely was a genius at making work seem like fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the heads up on the seat, and sulky. I am chomping at the bitt to run this tractor, but I want to make sure it’s serviced and ready to be ran properly. So I will have to wait till I can do everything before I run it for actual duty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I pulled the oil filler cap while it was running, and was not prepared for the face full of oil drops that blew out at me, I felt that was an indication of oil moving freely through the system. If that’s an improper assumption, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
I pulled the oil filler cap while it was running, and was not prepared for the face full of oil drops that blew out at me, I felt that was an indication of oil moving freely through the system. If that’s an improper assumption, please let me know.
Nope, that's the expected result :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Took my carb out of the dip today, blew everything out what a difference, put it all back together using a shoe box gasket
(which I am skeptical about, and have never done) it was a time consuming venture, and quite honestly not worth it.
I fully drained the canister oil filter
Which had some nasty looking oil in it.
Tomorrow I am going to flush it out with kerosene, and gas. Do an oil change. Clean air filter, put in new oil. Fill it with non ethenal gas mystery oil additive, cross my fingers and pull the rope. Any other things I should address?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts