My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres goes my first question. have a 1948 Model M, carburator is a Marval-Schebler TSX 245. The bowl where the throttle jet goes in has been stripped out. so I cant tighten up the throttle into the bottom part of the core. Of course a new carb is over 300 bucks, I was windering if any other type carb will work, ie Ford, which is only 97 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not knowing anything about your background, my only comment is: If you switch to a different brand / model etc. carburetor make sure the engine will run at a proper fuel / air mixture.

I learned the hard way as a young teenager long time ago, but hey I ruined only two engines due to too lean mixture (one 4-stroke & one 2-stroke)!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I would say if another carb will bolt up and was intended for an engine with similar cubic inch displacement and number of cylinders it should be "close enough"..

For decades hot rodders have swapped all kinds of carbs onto engines they were never intended for,they have numerous "adapters" to let you bolt a 2 barrel carb on a one barrel manifold,or put a 4 barrel on a 2 barrel manifold,to name but a few...engines with carbs are usually pretty forgiving and you may be able to swap jets if it turns out to be too rich or lean,too lean is more harmful,that is what could raise combustion temps enough to burn valves or do other damage..

I have put a 4 barrel carb on a 250 straight six and found it was too "big" for it,by unhooking the secondary butterflies linkage and running it only on the primary 2 barrels it ran great...
I have swapped dozens of other carbs on various vehicles.like a friends Jeep that had a one barrel,we used a 2 barrel Carter carb off a 318 mopar with a manifold adapter and ran that thing several years without a problem..the spark plugs always had a nice chocolate brown color,not too rich,not too lean,without having to mess with jets..

Too many others to list here worked out well in the end also,the biggest hassles was either "inventing" a new throttle linkage and hooking up any other cables that controlled the automatic transmission line pressure,passing gear,etc...that wont be an issue on a tractor engine...best to find a carb that has the throttle linkage on the same side,swings in the same direction,and ideally,has the same bolt pattern for the intake...

Many other tractors use Marvel-Schebler carbs...I have an old Continental Y-69 4 banger that uses an updraft one...perhaps one of the other brands of tractors use one "close enough" to suit your needs that is not priced outrageously high....another possible option is maybe the stripped jet hole could be heli-coiled..

·
Premium Member
8,455 Posts
I know that the M-S carbs on old Ford tractors almost all have equivalent replacements available from Zenith, so I did a Google search and found a cross reference for the TSX-245 to the Zenith 14996. Unfortunately they seem to be around the same price as the M-S carb it replaces. At least you now have a cross-reference to another brand/model that you can keep your eye open for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Premium Member
8,455 Posts
Well, I kept poking and poking that old internet bear until it turned and growled at me and I found this on "Sears.com" of all places. It claims to be a replacement for the original JD part number for the TSX-245, which was AM366T, and it does list the M as one of the models that it fits, and it's only $207.47. Click on the link below.

AM366T replacement at Sears.com

·
Premium Member
8,455 Posts
You need to move this as an M is not a garden tractor. Roger
Who is "you"? The moderators are the only ones who can move a thread as far as I am aware. Hopefully a moderator will come along and see your comment and my reply and will move it, but no one who has posted in this thread so far is a moderator.

KR note: Easy does it Brother... moved to 'Vintage'. 🍻
If you'd like it somewhere else I'm happy to oblige.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you thought about putting a helicoil in the bowl? At this point your not out much if it doesn't work. Another option would be to fill the hole with JB weld or another fuel resistant epoxy then drill and tap to the correct thread pitch. This isn't a high torque application so a low tech fix should put you back in operation.

Reactions: arto98607

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Another option would be to find a good used one suitable to rebuild,or just use the bowl off of it. Here'sa list of 26 @ TractorHouse:https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...machines/list/manufacturer/john-deere/model/m Beyond that, you could alsopost a "want to buy" ad at Tractorhouse. Look in the red column on the left side of the main page, 3rd item down. TractorHouse.com | Used Tractors For Sale: John Deere, Case IH, New Holland, Kubota. Give description,and part number, and contact info. You'llneed to register, to weed out the spammers. I'd have to guess they'd want half of what a new one would cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts