My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 48 Cletrac hg42 this weekend, adjusted the brake bands, fired it up, drove it onto my trailer and took it home.

Pulled some of the sheet metal to get to the spark plugs and low and behold the center plugs were fouled out, no biggy, ordered some new ones.

Anyways I have a couple questions I hope you guys can answer, haven't had much luck with google search.

Q1: When "converting" the tractor to 12v can I also change it from positive ground, to negative ground? Or will this cause issues with (what I am assuming) magneto ignition. Or starter rotation?

Q2: The magneto/distributor is independent from the rest of the electrical correct? There's no on-off switch, just pull the choke or throttle down.

I just don't want to mess it up but 12v is a must, even if it kills the starter faster. I plan on building a new loader for this tractor as the one that is on it has more metal scabed onto it than there is original material. It's very janky.

Thank you in advance!

Dustin.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I can't answer any of your questions, but I'm really curious what this thing looks like...do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as I get home from work I sure can

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
IF you go 12-v---be sure to also go NEG. ground!!!---more common and if you go alt,---not sure if there is pos.---not common if there are!---12-v neg. is the norm for conversions.
Check for sure if you have mag. OR dist.---they are different!---If you have dist. ign.-- you just install a 12-v neg. ground coil, with internal resistor.---If using non resistor coil, you then must install an external resistor.--- not a big deal but something to keep in mind!
If you have the old mag. ---then you do nothing as it is a seperate system all to itself and don't rely on the battery/gen./alt/etc.! thanks; sonny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts