My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the tractor that will receive the combine engine from this thread: Whats hidden in the Blackberries? | My Tractor Forum

After being on mothballs for a couple years I am getting the bug to work on this again. When I say bug, I mean my brothers grandson is bugging both me and my brother to get a cub running. He is 10 yrs. and wants to step up from the GT he has been driving so I rolled it out where we can get at it. The little guy says he wants to work on it and I'm thinking he can start with a pressure washing. Then we will make a list of what we will need to get it drivable. This will be a slow-moving project (nothing new for my projects) since our project time will be limited from other priorities.
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle
Plant Wood Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle Grass
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Broke out the hot wrench to loosen the seat and platform bolts. The heads of the bolts were really bad, so I drove a smaller size socket on the seat bolts and ground flats and used vice grips on the platform bolts. Got them all out. I cleaned and taped off all of the openings in the engine and trans and the little guy did some pressure washing. I think it's ready to start taking things apart. The little guy should like the wrenching part.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: DJ54

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are a good man . Hope the little man enjoys ! Kevin .
He will certainly enjoy driving it and maybe learn a little along the way.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opened up the Mag, filed the points, and I now have spark. I won't use it until the original engine is ready to go back in at some point, but its good to know it works.

Motor vehicle Plant Steering wheel Vehicle Gas
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Auto part

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I broke out the Tire liquid pump and started pumping out the rears from our '51 cub that I will be using on the '47 for now. We will see what shape the rims are in once I demount the tires.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drained the second tire and now to demount the tires. I shot a video of the pump working that I will post when I get it uploaded.

Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Demounted the first tire and found a rusty rim. Pounded it with a hammer to knock the heavy scale off and ran a wire brush over it to see what's left. I think I can save it so I will run it thru the Electrolysis tank and then sandblast. We will see what they are like at that point.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood
Automotive tire Blue Tire Black Motor vehicle
Jeans Shoe Photograph Blue Automotive tire
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Font Auto part

Reactions: Vigo

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the video of the pump running.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Broke down the second wheel. Its going to need some repair around the valve stem. I'll get it cleaned up and see just how bad it is.

Brown Wood Helmet Amber Tints and shades
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Font Auto part
Eye Wood Automotive tire Artifact Art

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Broke down the second wheel. Its going to need some repair around the valve stem. I'll get it cleaned up and see just how bad it is.

View attachment 2549895 View attachment 2549896 View attachment 2549897
Looks similar to the one rim on my 140. I chipped away the heavy rust, buffed with a 3" knotted cup brush, then a light grinding with the 4" grinding disc, then did some filling with my 110 amp Lincoln wire welder. A, I believe 5/8" washer nice clean hole for the valve stem. More grinding, then buffed with the cup brush for a nice finish. The rest of the rim was pretty decent shape, with some light rust.

I tried the Ospho you said you used on other projects to kill the rust on the rest of it. Good stuff..!! I use it on a lot of things now.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks similar to the one rim on my 140. I chipped away the heavy rust, buffed with a 3" knotted cup brush, then a light grinding with the 4" grinding disc, then did some filling with my 110 amp Lincoln wire welder. A, I believe 5/8" washer nice clean hole for the valve stem. More grinding, then buffed with the cup brush for a nice finish. The rest of the rim was pretty decent shape, with some light rust.

I tried the Ospho you said you used on other projects to kill the rust on the rest of it. Good stuff..!! I use it on a lot of things now.
The fishermen in this area use Ospho on their saltwater vessels so I thought if it worked in that environment that it would work great on the farm.

I have a couple old cub wheels that I can cut patch pieces out of if need be. Of course they are bad where the valve core goes also.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought a donor tractor just for the tires and wheels. Its an Economy Power King that is missing a lot of parts, but has the 12" fronts and 24" rears with really good rubber on the back. The rear centers even have the IH logo on them. I should have enough wheels now for all 3 of our cubs. I just need one complete set of tires.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Vigo and DJ54

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stole the rears off of the Economy Power King and installed them on the '47 Cub.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
17,385 Posts
Broke out the hot wrench to loosen the seat and platform bolts. The heads of the bolts were really bad, so I drove a smaller size socket on the seat bolts and ground flats and used vice grips on the platform bolts. Got them all out. I cleaned and taped off all of the openings in the engine and trans and the little guy did some pressure washing. I think it's ready to start taking things apart. The little guy should like the wrenching part.

View attachment 2548997 View attachment 2548998 View attachment 2548999 View attachment 2549000 View attachment 2549001 View attachment 2549002 View attachment 2549003
//////////////////////////////

Oh man-rusty rusty rims and old fashioned tire spoons in one picture--my back still aches when I think of doing thht in my younger years..
But-boy--you got some stuff--give you that!
Continues on!
glenn

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
//////////////////////////////

Oh man-rusty rusty rims and old fashioned tire spoons in one picture--my back still aches when I think of doing thht in my younger years..
But-boy--you got some stuff--give you that!
Continues on!
glenn
With all of the tractors we have and occasional flats, it seems like a never ending job.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ran one front and one rear wheel through the E-tank. They still need wire brushing and sandblasting. The fronts on the '47 cub are in rough shape from dirt and who knows what stuck between the wheels and wheel weights. The one rear from the '51 cub looks salvageable. I have a second rear wheel cooking in the E-tank that's ready to come out for clean up.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Fluid Cuisine Water Plumbing fixture
Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Water Automotive tire Wheel Blue Tread
Automotive tire Water Wheel Manhole Plumbing
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Bumper Grey Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Brown Sleeve Grey Tints and shades Wool

Reactions: DJ54 and Vigo

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good stuff. I've actually used junk rims as the 'sacrificial electrode' in an e-tank, since they tend to be bowl shaped on one side and do well for something placed right in the middle of them. I forget whether that part is the anode or the cathode..

Anyway, i'd actually like to see a pic of a power king with 24" wheels parked right next to a cub because i know they share those wheel sizes but i have a hard time visualizing the scale difference of the rest of the tractors.. probably too much work for you to arrange that since they don't both have good wheels at the same time, but cool that you were able to find a 'parts donor by another name' so you weren't limited to JUST cubs as donors.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good stuff. I've actually used junk rims as the 'sacrificial electrode' in an e-tank, since they tend to be bowl shaped on one side and do well for something placed right in the middle of them. I forget whether that part is the anode or the cathode..

Anyway, i'd actually like to see a pic of a power king with 24" wheels parked right next to a cub because i know they share those wheel sizes but i have a hard time visualizing the scale difference of the rest of the tractors.. probably too much work for you to arrange that since they don't both have good wheels at the same time, but cool that you were able to find a 'parts donor by another name' so you weren't limited to JUST cubs as donors.
The old rim would work good for the 'sacrificial electrode' .

I'll try to do that when I get another set of 24" rears mounted up. They appear to be very close in overall size, but the Cub weighs almost double what the economy weighs. The Economy Power King is 820-911 lbs and the Cub is 1477 to 1877 according to tractordata.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts