My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1942 9N to grade the dirt roads around my house, The tractor runs great, and works well. I love it and it goes well with my obsession for vintage things.
I have a question about it though, on the transmission case just below and slightly ahead of where the oil bath air cleaner hangs is a 9/16th " hole in the case. I can't seem to figure out why or what should have gone here and I imagine it can't be healthy to be left open in the dry dust out here. Can any one identify what it's there for and what I' am missing? Now I am reluctant to run the tractor until I know what it is/what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
Chances are this hole was for the Sherman Aux Transmission that was shifted by a Cable. I would guess that this Aux Transmission is no longer in there but the hole remains. No Damage will occur from having this hole there, but you have several options of closing it off if you want to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, for your answer to my question. I just bought the tractor last Sunday and absolutely love it, but am doing a crash course on leaning about it. I went looking in town for a rubber plug or such to plug it but wasn't sure what was originally there and if I should replace what ever it was. I was unsuccessful finding a plug at the local auto stores but since it won't harm anything if I run the tractor with it open as it is I can take my time and keep looking. BTW I live right above Hemet-Ryan where the Ryan Air attack is located, I noticed you were a Cal Fire Air Tanker pilot. We sleep sounder knowing they are so close!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone rigged a plastic battery tray and converted it to 12V.I will keep it 12v but will eventually replace hokey add ons with original/correct reproduction parts as I learn what it should look like. I ordered a library of books/manuals/parts catalogs for it so I can bone up. I paid 1k for it so I think I got a fair deal despite the barn yard tinkering. Runs real strong I was surprised when I drove it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my tractor. I will eventually replace/restore and repaint it all grey and return it to its former glory, but I mainly bought it to work my roads and keep up on my fire defense parameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here's my tractor. I will eventually replace/restore and repaint it all grey and return it to its former glory, but I mainly bought it to work my roads and keep up on my fire defense parameter.
nice tractor i think a metal bat box went there i believe there on all the n models.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Well technially you have a 2n.
The hole may be for a sherman trans but I'm not sure if the hole was that big. Ken has one in his tractor so maybe he can answer that. The sherman cable system trans cable would rot out and break. Some were replaced others weren't. It may be possible that you have a sherman trans still it there. I would take a long thin screwdriver and push it in there and move it from side to side. If it hit something within an inch or two you may be in luck. In it goes down to 6" or more than probably not. The sherman knob would have been on the right side of the dash. So you should have a hole or plug in the dash.
Another thing thing the hole could have been used for was to spray something on a stuck clutch to free it up. In this case I would keep the clutch pedal block down when not in use.
You can put a dab of silicone or plug in it to keep the dirt and water out.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk

·
Registered
240 Posts
If your worried about the hole, go to a Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the specialty hardware section where they have all the little drawers of stuff. Look for corks. Like regular bottle stopper corks. They should also have them in black rubber, which is what I would use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hole may be for a sherman trans but I'm not sure if the hole was that big. Ken has one in his tractor so maybe he can answer that. The sherman cable system trans cable would rot out and break. Some were replaced others weren't. It may be possible that you have a sherman trans still it there. I would take a long thin screwdriver and push it in there and move it from side to side. If it hit something within an inch or two you may be in luck. In it goes down to 6" or more than probably not. The sherman knob would have been on the right side of the dash. So you should have a hole or plug in the dash.
Another thing thing the hole could have been used for was to spray something on a stuck clutch to free it up. In this case I would keep the clutch pedal block down when not in use.

Kirk
kirk, thank you, great advise I check it out and post what I find. BTW how can you tell it is a 2n over a 9n Were all 1942s 2n ? Thanks again I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your worried about the hole, go to a Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the specialty hardware section where they have all the little drawers of stuff. Look for corks. Like regular bottle stopper corks. They should also have them in black rubber, which is what I would use.
Great I'll do that! Thanks much.

·
Registered
397 Posts
in the sticky part of the 9n/2n/8n it will show you how to read the serial number and 9ns were produces from 39-41 starting in 42 2ns were produced 9ns were no longer produced. There really isn't any difference between the 2.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
kirk, thank you, great advise I check it out and post what I find. BTW how can you tell it is a 2n over a 9n Were all 1942s 2n ? Thanks again I really appreciate the info.
Your tractor is a Mid '44 and up to a '47. oval tube style radius rods didn't come out until the middle of 1944. Earliest tube style I've seen was built april 25, 1944.
It doesn't matter if your serial # sez 9N.
193(9)/41= 9n
194(2)/47=2n
194(8)/52=8n
Production of the next years model started about 3 months of the year before. It the case of the switch from 2n to 8n it was about 5 months. Because they were built in the previous year some poeple think they have an early model.

Kirk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Kirk
Kirk,
Now I think I may need to study up on the Sherman transmission too. I did exactly as you instructed and about 2" in my screw driver hits something and there is a hole in the dash on the right side just below the choke just as you said there should be! I will search the net to learn what the Sherman tranny was and what I may need to get it operating again. This is awesome, I went from thinking I had a problem, to now thinking I have a desirable option I didn't know was there.
Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Pictures worth a thousand words so here some to show you the space you have in the bellhousing.
First photo is with sherman. Although this is a ferguson TO30 it will give you some idea because they're basically the same size.
Next is with the sherman installed in an 8n trans. Then a couple of shots to show how deep from the top.
Note: your tractor will have no access from under the steering box like the
8n. You will have to split the tractor to do any work on the sherman.
Redrock offers a kit to change it to a side lever and I believe the the cables may be still available.
This will not be a combo trans. It will either be a step up or step down. Probably 8 out of 10 were step up so getting a step down is a little more rare and more desirable.

Kirk

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.