My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:praying:
It blows a fuse when switching the blades on. A small engine repair friend looked at it. Bypassed the electronic clutch and it worked just fine. He took the clutch off [GY20878; old # GY20108]. Boy is it expensive [$160.00 - $185.00]. Before I go out and buy another one is there a way to test the part [GY20878] to see if that is truely the culpert? Most of the time electric part are not returnable if it turns out that the problem is elsewhere. If I do need one,do they sell reconditioned ones? I have not found any online.
:greendr:

·
Super Moderator
29,533 Posts
check your wiring first, could just be a simple short in the wire. i am not sure if these have an adjustable air gap, many do, but if so it could just be out of adjustment causing the short. if it has an anti chatter diode on the plug, this diode could be shorted. if so, just clip one side of it and it is now out the circuit. it's only purpose in life is to shunt back voltage on the coil caused by the sudden shut down of the circuit.

also, you could test the PTO off the tractor. all you need is 12v and ground. see how much current it draws, should be less than 5 amps.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I second what "davidg" suggested. No air gap on that clutch, so nothing to check there.

I get the most success out of checking the amp draw to test the clutch. Keep in mind sometimes the draw will go up as the clutch gets hot.

A short in the harness could certainly do it as well. Check the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thanku:

Thank you both for your replies and wisdom. I had the wiring checked out as you suggest. Saddly, is was good. I found a place online that I could order the PTO Clutch GY 20878 for a total of $ 152.00. That beats JD price of $188 plus tax. They say I should recieve it by Friday.

:greendr:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts