My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my neighbors donated this rear tine tiller to my collection of lawn and garden equipment I am looking for a parts donor, or some parts , specifically the pulley on the engine and reverse clutch. I have used it a few times works great. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Man that looks like a beast ..is that railway track on the front ?

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes that is railway track. I had been using it as a makeshift anvil, but the tiller would hit a hard spot in the ground and pack the tires, LITERALLY! that was the heaviest single piece of metal that I had. It has a hydra-matic style transmission,"the two belts on the side". It will pulverize the dirt. After I get the garden broken I use this just before we plant to powder the dirt.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
BINGO!!!

I have the exact Same unit now. I have the pulley and reverser wheel assembly ...heck the whole darn motor too.

I swapped out the original engine for my newer 6.5h Briggs. The original motor was too tempermental to fool with. ( orig. needs serious carb work but was told it ran at one point some years ago )

I tried to get the pulley and revers wheel off the original engine but it wouldn't budge. My new engine had a pulley on it anyway so I used it instead. In it's current status, I have no reverse on my tiller.

I've found the Idler pulley on mine gives me a lot of grief. Aside from that, the unit has worked rather well. Only difference from yours and mine is that my tiller wears a CENEX name on it.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's two in existence. Mine is the only one I have ever seen. I love it. It's not that great for breaking, but it looks better than my neighbors garden and he has a 25 HP new holland tractor with a pto tiller. I would like to repair the reverse on mine as my garden it on a creek side. That wouldn't happen to be an intek 6.5 with a slanted cylinder. I have a honda 6.5 I was thinking about repowering it with. As for getting that pulley off of the old engine try heating the center of the pulley as this will cause it to expand. after you shut the torch off spray pb baster, or wd-40 into the center. you may have to do it a coupe times to loosen it. I use a ball joint tool to remove pulleys on smaller engines. put it between the engine and pulley and hammer. i have the manual on pdf to mine if you should need a copy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
nah, My 6.5 is a Briggs. Plastic gastank and carb and all... I wasn't too happy to see all the plastic garbage on it...but ir runs, and that was the clincher.

The original engine...I'd have to look at it again. Neither of them are the slant-cyl models.

As for getting the pulley off, I've tried heat, and a puller wouldn't budge it no matter how much I tried. I saved the whole thing because I figured someday I might get bored and try another crack at it. That and I hate to throw out horizontal shaft engines that "could" run someday. The ones with holes in them I do recycle tho; this one was all intact--just needs a carb, coil, & probabaly points/cond/
It did pass the compression tests just fine so who knows.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was 14 we had a flood that got into one of our storage sheds. In there was a 4 hp L head briggs. Afterwards I cleaned it up and used it on a go-kart. Been building anything with pistons ever since. If you truly decide you want that pulley off, Drill the shaft out where the bolt go's in until there's not much metal left , (may have to take it to a machine shop), it should give up the ghost then. An 5hp crank should be easy to find.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
sometimes I'm just ........

I took another look at the pulley & reverse wheel. Turns out the wheel is bolted to the pulley. eh duuuuuuurrr!

So now I have the wheel off, and I think with a lil more work the pulley will let go of the crank too.

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,390 Posts
One of my neighbors donated this rear tine tiller to my collection of lawn and garden equipment I am looking for a parts donor, or some parts , specifically the pulley on the engine and reverse clutch. I have used it a few times works great. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Nice looking machine you got there! I can help you give the year of that If that engine is original. B&S engines are easy to decode. How you do it is you look on the engine shroud, there should be three sets of numbers on the left side of the shroud, they should be labled- Model, Type, Code. look at the numbers under CODE, the first two numbers in the code indicates the year of the engine. Here's an example: MODEL TYPE CODE
130292 0141-05 7201257

This engine was built in- 1972(72)-January(01)-25th(25) Assy plant 7(7)

Here's a photo on how to fully decode your B&S engine, just click on the photo to enlarge it. Hope this helped! -Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
sometimes I'm just ........

I took another look at the pulley & reverse wheel. Turns out the wheel is bolted to the pulley. eh duuuuuuurrr!

So now I have the wheel off, and I think with a lil more work the pulley will let go of the crank too.

Did we go to the same mechanical school:fing20:

Ronnie

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Brad, I also know how to read the model type and code on a briggs. I know that the engine was not factory, as I salvaged it from an old yard bird. I recieved a yardman model 447 tiller with dual direction tines last year, I have since gave the older yardman tiller to a good friend of mine who supplies me with metal and hard to find parts.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts