My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 19??....lol model Economy arden Tractor. It has no plate on it anywhere and the plate on the Engine( Briggs & Stratton and white in color) is rusted into and cant identify anything.

I have the motor at the shop and he cant find what Kit to so order because there is no numbers what so ever.

So I guess the question Im asking is does anyone know how to identify this engine so I can order a kit?

The engine ran, it just smoked and was weak I am looking for a gasket kit and rings.

Thanks forany and all help.

I have a snow plow, disk, plow, cultivators with the tractor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also on the bell housing there is a plate that tells what oil to use such as MOBILOIL - Arctic and at the top it says series 728

·
Still plays with tractors
2,285 Posts
Many briggs engines have the required number stamped in the sheet metal. They are very difficult to see but they are always there. Look over the sheet metal with a good light and I'll bet you find the numbers. Post some pics of the tractor and we will probably be able to at least get you close on the year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff, I will go by the shop tommorow and look at the engine for some numbers. I will also take some pictures of the tractor. Something that may help you Identify the model is the rear wheels have a completly round steel cover with no indentations completly round.

Thanks

·
2,285 Posts
If they are as you say, completely round with no indentations, they are probably not original. I will wait for pics before I say for sure. Just some general shots (side, front, back, 3/4, whatever) will do for trying to figure out what you have. Looking forward to seeing this tractor.

·
2,285 Posts
Are you sure it's an Economy tractor? Nothing I see in these pics even remotely resembles an Economy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the only plateon the tractor is on the bell housing. And It says:
Economy Garden Tractor Series # 728
EnGine MobileOil _ Arctic
Trans Mobile

And something else with the rear dif gear oil
and hydrolic oil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff here is a picture of a tractor I found on this website that has the exact wheels that those round hubs mount to.

On the post here on this site where I found the picture that had the same exact rear wheels you told the guy it was a 1946 economy that had the steering changed from chain drive at some point. You were able to tell the year by the 3 digit serial. My three digit serial id 728 and is on a plate on the bell housing.

Hope this helps and thanks

Attachments

·
2,285 Posts
OK, I guess you do have an Economy. A 1948 to be exact. Someone, at some point in time, made the sheet metal to mount on that tractor. I would advise you to just toss it. Home made sheet metal does nothing for a show piece. I would like to see more pics of YOUR tractor when you get the chance. I think you said it was in pieces though, right? Also. a friend of mine had made a jig at one point that enables a person to fabricate the spoked rear wheels for those tractors. It travels around the country, usually changing hands at a show.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the help.
Do you know what Briggs were used on the 48 model?
And I will take more pictures of the tractor today.
I am fixing to go by the shop and get pics of that engine

·
2,285 Posts
Take a look at the pdf file that username posted. That will answer your question quicker (and better) than I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was able to make out on the tag I believe it is SERIEL F 5206

And there was another Number stamped on the tin on the Briggs

I made it out the best i could cleaned and rubbed with a pencil, I will mark under the number to with a Question mark on what I wasn't positive on

6 4 3 1 0 1 1 7 8 0 2 7 7 0 5 0 4 1
------?---?-?--?--------------?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Here are the rest of the pictures hope they help you guys.

And I also wanted to thank allof you for your input and help because without it I would probably never Identify the tractor or engine these things are really hard to research ( but once done these make mighty fine tractors)

Thanks Everyone

Allen Cox

Attachments

·
2,285 Posts
OK, so you have a 1948 Economy that has been converted (most likely) from a chain steer to a steering box. The spoked wheel is original but the other wheel (or at least the disk) is not. Is that disk actually the wheel or just a cover? Could they be some form of crude wheel weights that the PO made?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whats the shaft size. I believe the briggs were all 1'' and kohler was 1 1/8. My belief is thats not the correct moter for the year and you have a 9 or 10 hrs briggs but i dont know how to tell the difference, If I could make those pics bigger i'd check it against my 9 hrs briggs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rear wheel covers are about 20 pounds each. They have five bolt holes and a center hole in them. The outer holes screw directly into each of the five spokes and the center hole bolts into the center axle. they appear to be stock.I know there odd because I cant find a picture of them anywhere on the internet. I was hoping they were how I would Identify the tractor.
The steering box needs to be rebuilt and I was wandering if there was parts available and where if so?
Also how would you go about ordering a kit for a motor you cant identify?
The shaft size on the engine I also believe is an inch.I didn't measure when I went to the shop today. I tried to load the actual picture but had to reduce the size here to attach them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts