My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw Jason's collection today :thThumbsU Nice job, and growing each week.

It was also the first time I saw an 1886 in person.

The 1886 looks as huge and blocky as a tank. The front end is bulging with engine. The 54 inch mower deck is thick flat steel, not thinner curved, stamped metal, and is angled like a Stealth fighter. The two-stage snow blower is as large as any one entire tractor at Home Depot. I don't know how the 1886 even lifts it.

His "smaller" 1556 (I think it was) has a sickle bar causally hanging from it. It is four or five feet of steel bar shaped into ancient shark teeth, scissoring back and forth. He says it will take down one inch thick brush. The long and heavy hood has plenty of room for the 5 gallon gas tank. (I would only need to fill it once per summer) The seat pan was off and the Eaton 12 transaxle is simply massive. He says it will pull stumps. I think it can pull and juggle them

You just cannot understand the scale of these large frame "garden tractors" until you see them close up. It makes me understand how much the Bolens are over-built.

(And Jason, thank you for the deal on the mower deck. I will combine two into a good one.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
they are impressive for sure

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes your right they are over built, and Jason is great to deal with, good kid.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Yes the 1886's are awesome I love mine!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The 1886 was the beginning of something great, to bad that Bolens dropped the Eaton 12 for something inferior. If only they would have kept going with that Eaton 12.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 12 is starting to make ALOT of noise. Havn't decided to break it down yet, but is there any one thing that you know of that is causing this noise?
It still seems to work properly, but the noise has gotten worse over the last 2 summers...Thanks.......Dan:lalala::lalala:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. 1886 man, have you tried changing the fluid/filters? Are you keeping it full of fliuid? What are you running in it for fluid?

Jason

·
Registered
204 Posts
my fluid is always full and when I changed the fluid a couple years ago I got some stuff from the green machine dealer. Can't remember what the fluid was called. maybe utf or 303 hyd. fluid or something. It was clear not red. He told me that it would work fine in the old hydro I had..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It should be fine, but did it start getting louder after the fluid change?

Jason

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hoe does your fan look? Is it missing blades? I would try changing it back to type F ATF myself. I don't know whether that will help or not though.

Jason

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
What kind of noise do you hear, whine, rumble, grinding??? I may be coming from the trans-axle or even the drive line(universals) depending on what the noise sounds like. They do whine pretty loud especially under load but is normal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ya its a whining sound. I talked to a guy the other day, many years ago he had a bolens large frame that made alot of noise. He said he used the heck out of it for 15 or 20 years and finally the engine went out, but the hydro never did. Maybe I won't worry about it!! It still seems to work good..

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Ya its a whining sound. I talked to a guy the other day, many years ago he had a bolens large frame that made alot of noise. He said he used the heck out of it for 15 or 20 years and finally the engine went out, but the hydro never did. Maybe I won't worry about it!! It still seems to work good..
Well I'll tell ya, my two 1886-01's whine very loud as in I wear head phones when I'm on them but the hydros are strong as an ox. So maybe yours is really OK. We'll hope for the best.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The former Bolen's dealer who I buy my parts through said never to run anything but Type F in the eaton 10's. I'm not sure about the 12's but I would guess they would be the same. If I were you, I would change it back to type F ATF.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
From the 1886 owners manual...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts