My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is this a good deal? Thanks again for letting me bother you with more questions :thanku: You can go here to see the pictures:

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1266743406.html

Bolens 1886 Garden Tractor - $2300 (Nashua, NH)

Bolens 1886-01 Husky Tractor 18 hp Kohler, Hydrostatic drive.
Runs great.
Newly restored with new paint, battery, starter, muffler/exhaust, spark plugs, brake linings, air filter, u-joints, and all fluids. Tires in good shape.

Accessories include:
54” 4-way power angle snow/dozer blade,
42” Snow blower (18042 01), 33” Rototiller (Model 18093),
Cultivator,
cast wheel weights,
tire chains, illustrated parts catalog, original manual,
Kohler K482 parts and engine manual. $2300 obo

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think its a little steep. I saw one on craigslist this morning on portland oregon for 450.00 also selling a tube frame loader for 600.00 so 2300.00 to much I.M.O. but good for him to try.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think its a little steep. I saw one on craigslist this morning on portland oregon for 450.00 also selling a tube frame loader for 600.00 so 2300.00 to much I.M.O. but good for him to try.
You saw an 1886 for $450? That sounds like a deal!
:duh:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I would pay $2000.00 for it .. Try to match it with something similar .. with a new tractor .. IMO.. John Deere would be a close match .. for well over 10 K

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this. He said he would take $2200.00 for it. A great machine if I had the money I would probably go for it. I'll have to settle for something a bit cheaper. Thanks again for your help :thanku:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this. He said he would take $2200.00 for it. A great machine if I had the money I would probably go for it. I'll have to settle for something a bit cheaper. Thanks again for your help :thanku:
Is it close to you ?? If you can get $2000 in cash together .. go there with a trailer .. I bet he would take it .. if he sees 20 crisp Benjamins :biglaugh:

It is one heck of a tractor .. I have four of them .. and none are in that good of shape

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, you guys got me thinking about this one. I may work on getting some $$ together.... I will keep you posted thanks again!

·
Registered
821 Posts
When I read 1886 garden tractor, I thought it might be something pulled by a horse!

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
I agree with Ken. If you can get it for $2K, it would be a great buy. Unlike some of the "restored" tractors that some folks list on eBay and Craigslist, this one looks really carefully done. It has the correct decals and all. Too far for me to get it, but I would if it were closer. And I don't need another Large Frame tarctor!

Doug

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with Ken. If you can get it for $2K, it would be a great buy. Unlike some of the "restored" tractors that some folks list on eBay and Craigslist, this one looks really carefully done. It has the correct decals and all. Too far for me to get it, but I would if it were closer. And I don't need another Large Frame tarctor!

Doug
Hi Doug I have a question about the large frame tractor. Do you think I would be able to find a mower deck for it? Would it take the same one that the smaller tube frame tractors take? I would use it mostly to snow blow my 275' driveway. No need to throw snow very far as the driveway is only 10-15 feet wide. Do you think it would do well in that situation? You have several large frame tractors? Are they they considered the 'top of the line' for the Bolens small tractors line? You guys have been a lot of help answering all my questions. Thanks for putting up with them ::confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
This tractor is a great deal even at 2300.00 !!!!! I bought my 1886 this past spring and LOVE IT. I did not even get all of these attachments. Mine came just with a 48" front end loader and let me tell you this thing is histaricle, once the hydralic fluid gets up to temp the loader is extremly quick and with the tractor being hydrostatic you dont have to dick with stopping and shifting all the time. I also own a cushmann turf-truckster which i built a dump box for so now i have a fel and dump truck for any kind of yard/landscape work you want to do. next step is to buy the blueprints online to fabricate a backhoe for this tractor. If i lived closer to this i would have already bought it for the sake of owning it, you will never be able to buy a new machine that is as reliable as these old bolens large frames! Dont be foolish and let this slip away :00000060:

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Hi Doug I have a question about the large frame tractor. Do you think I would be able to find a mower deck for it? Would it take the same one that the smaller tube frame tractors take? I would use it mostly to snow blow my 275' driveway. No need to throw snow very far as the driveway is only 10-15 feet wide. Do you think it would do well in that situation? You have several large frame tractors? Are they they considered the 'top of the line' for the Bolens small tractors line? You guys have been a lot of help answering all my questions. Thanks for putting up with them ::confused:
Unfortunately, the mower decks are not interchangeable between the Tubeframes and the Large Frames. There was a 48' cut deck for the Large Frames throughout the product run from 1250's through HT23's. There was also a 54" cut that became available with the 1886's on up. IMO, the 48" deck gives a nicer cut. It is also easier to manhandle. The 54" decks are real beasts for a 140 lb guy like me. The deck probably weighs more than I do.

If you lived closer, I could easily sell you a deck. I have several I don't need. Because of their size, shipping is costly.

Doug

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Ed,

You probably can find the proper deck for the 1886 you are looking at, and closer to home than me. There is a guy up in the Belgrade area in Maine that comes to mind. He used to sell on eBay, but I think he quit when the costs went up. He has an OPE shop in that area. In answer to your question about snowblowing with a big Bolens: it will definitely do it. I have both the single-stage and the two-stage blowers for the Large Frames. Both work well.

And yes the Large Frames are considered the top of the line for domestically-produced Bolens tractors. That excludes the Iseki-Bolens, of course, which was imported and rebadged.

Doug

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ed,

You probably can find the proper deck for the 1886 you are looking at, and closer to home than me. There is a guy up in the Belgrade area in Maine that comes to mind. He used to sell on eBay, but I think he quit when the costs went up. He has an OPE shop in that area. In answer to your question about snowblowing with a big Bolens: it will definitely do it. I have both the single-stage and the two-stage blowers for the Large Frames. Both work well.

And yes the Large Frames are considered the top of the line for domestically-produced Bolens tractors. That excludes the Iseki-Bolens, of course, which was imported and rebadged.

Doug
Holy smokes! You have given me some great information about this. I am going to see what I can do to grab this thing before it gets bought. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much for the info.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Ed

Like Doug .. I have some (5 or 6) large frame mower decks .. only problem is shipping them ..

If you do get it and need one .. let me know, we can see if it can be worked out

·
5,523 Posts
I would love to add that to my list of 1886's but it's to far for me and to much fore me I got all my 1886's for under $600.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Ed

Like Doug .. I have some (5 or 6) large frame mower decks .. only problem is shipping them ..

If you do get it and need one .. let me know, we can see if it can be worked out
If you do get it and want a deck, Ken is MUCH closer to you than I am!

Doug

1 - 20 of 28 Posts