My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you adjust the foward vs reverse ratio on an 1886 large frame with the eaton 12 ? this tractor will go 2-3 times faster in reverse than foward. It appears that the threaded rod that goes between the pedal and the tranny only changes the position of the pedal. thanks!!!!:thanku:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I did'nt know you could change the speed in reverse. I think that if anything, some part of your control linkages could have been modified for this. Does the pedal push all the way forward and back like it is supposed to? I would suggest changing the pedal position adjustment just to see if that makes any difference. I could be entirely wrong as I only got my 1886 last weekend.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did'nt know you could change the speed in reverse. I think that if anything, some part of your control linkages could have been modified for this. Does the pedal push all the way forward and back like it is supposed to? I would suggest changing the pedal position adjustment just to see if that makes any difference. I could be entirely wrong as I only got my 1886 last weekend.

Jason
does yours go backwards 2-3 times faster?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No, Mine goes back and forward about the same speed, but after a little while looking at it earlier, I noticed the linkage jamming so I couldn't push the pedal all the way forward. I fixed it (There was a piece of metal clamped to the frame, obviously custom and it was stopping the full range of motion on the pedal). It works just fine now. By the way, would you happen to be the guy that was interested in the sickle bar from me? Just curious.

Jason

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I don't know about him but I would be interested in that sickle bar mower. I din't know that you had one FS.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yes, I got my 1886 and it came with one, so the one I cut my grandparents field with is for sale. I would be more interested in trades than anything. Specifically large frame stuff. I may hang onto it, I only was considering selling it to Al because he had emailed the guy I bought the tractor from. If you are interested, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, Mine goes back and forward about the same speed, but after a little while looking at it earlier, I noticed the linkage jamming so I couldn't push the pedal all the way forward. I fixed it (There was a piece of metal clamped to the frame, obviously custom and it was stopping the full range of motion on the pedal). It works just fine now. By the way, would you happen to be the guy that was interested in the sickle bar from me? Just curious.

Jason
yes its me. i actually realized that this was you earlier today. I have not gotten back to you yet b/c i need to make sure i can fix my tractor before i go any further with the sickle
:trink39:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm going to pull the fenders off my 1886 tommorow to clean off the hydro. I can post some pics of the linkages. Maybe you will notice that something on yours is out of place. I guess the big question is; Did it start having this issue all the sudden or has it been like this since you got it? If it happened all the sudden then it might indicate something internally wrong. If it has always been like this then maybe your linkages are not right.

Jason

·
5,525 Posts
I'll trade you some large frame stuff for the sickle mower.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It looks like it is just one adjustment. Does the pedal have the full range of motion? My only guess is that something is jammed in there stopping you from depressing the pedal all the way.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i cornered the guy i bought it from and what he said was that he "adjusted something on top of the transmission". I have not had time to tinker over this past week and its killing me to get to it soon. Does anyone know anything about his response? please post some pictures of your 1886 with the fenders off so we can see all of the linkages THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wwp:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I just had an idea... I'll do my best to explain it. There is a piece that is used to limit pedal travel. If the PO flipped this backwards, then you would get double the reverse speed and half the forward. this pic I took shows the piece I am talking about. I will get more pics in the morning.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had an idea... I'll do my best to explain it. There is a piece that is used to limit pedal travel. If the PO flipped this backwards, then you would get double the reverse speed and half the forward. this pic I took shows the piece I am talking about. I will get more pics in the morning.

Jason
please send me some more pictures on this, (the whole thing from a few differant angles) I found that i must have lost the keyway somehow,got a new one and may have fixed foward but still twice as fast in reverse

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Unfortunately I am away from home. I had to leave this morning and I didn't get a chance to take more pics. I do have a short video of how the linkage looks when being pushed back and forth. I will try and post it tommorow( it is still on the camera). The piece I think is backwards is the one that limits the movement of the pedal. If you push back and forth on it you will probably be able to see what I am talking about.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately I am away from home. I had to leave this morning and I didn't get a chance to take more pics. I do have a short video of how the linkage looks when being pushed back and forth. I will try and post it tommorow( it is still on the camera). The piece I think is backwards is the one that limits the movement of the pedal. If you push back and forth on it you will probably be able to see what I am talking about.

Jason
yeah it does stop the foward movement when the linkage tit hits the top cutout. the only thing is i do not see how i could turn that slotted linkage over . Thanks for your help so far!!! Al:trink39:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You can compare the length down and the length up fom the center. The upper one should be the deeper slot. I think it is possible to flip it over, but it would take some dissasembly. It is entirely possible that I am on the wrong track and it can't be flipped, but I feel it's a good possibility.

Jason

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You were right Al, the linkage cannot be flipped over. I didnt realize it had a bend in it. I took a bunch of pictures. Let me know if there is another picture that you need. Here is a link to the photobucket page with all the photos. http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww208/jason4567/1886/ Let me know if you need a picture of anything else in particular. I think that the control piece may have been modified in some way (maybe it had some metal removed to go faster in reverse than normal).

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your pictures!!! mine also looks like yours, there is no obvious modifications to be seen on the linkages leeding to an awnser of
a) internal valving of some sort or
b) some other linkage adjustment.

man what a brain teaser!!!!! :trink39:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts