My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the 1886-01 project is just about completed. I still need to add the hydraulic cylinders and mounts and make push arms for the new plow frame, and I want to seal the tank with Kreem just for peace of mind. I also need to hook up the lights. I forgot to pick up a tail light last time I was at a Pilot truck stop (they have nice oval ones with LED lights).
I also need to figure out where to tap into to wire my ammeter. The harness I got from Kohler has extra wires in it, but I haven't determined which wires from the engine need to run up to the ammeter and back to get charge current.

I drove it around the driveway today, and ran the hydraulics up and down a lot.

No PTO belts? Got the wrong size at NAPA. I need to exchange them.

Sure would like to test out that scraper/ripper, but around here, me or a neighbor is going to lose some lawn if I try it. I don't think that will make anyone happy.

Yup, that's a bungee cord holding up the plow frame (no push arms yet):

Just checking angles and clearances for the plow.

Surplus Center shipped my plow hydraulics Saturday, so maybe next weekend I can rig up the hyd. angling.

Gotta have her ready to work at the end of May, so I can haul it up to Idaho.

Here's a link to my whole 1886 refurbish project picture library:
http://sdwike.smugmug.com/Other/Lil-Tractors-Bolens/5383889_fEyA3#766951097_hSvYG

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You have done one heck of a job. I really like that engine and a starter that you can get to.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Really nice! That engine does look like it belongs there from the factory.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice !!

What flavor of red is on the rims? Looks to have a maroon tint to them (or is it just from the shadows?). Maybe the rusty-off-white rims on my 1250 should get that color...

-Neil

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Good job, Steevo! I've enjoyed following your restoration. It helped me get interested in my HT-23 which I've just about finished. I'll be posting some pics soon. Now, like me, you'll have find yourself another fun project. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice !!

What flavor of red is on the rims? Looks to have a maroon tint to them (or is it just from the shadows?). Maybe the rusty-off-white rims on my 1250 should get that color...

-Neil
That's Rustoleum #7768 Burgundy

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
:congrats: That looks amazing!

Jason

·
5,525 Posts
Not bad.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have done one heck of a job. I really like that engine and a starter that you can get to.
Yeah, not only are the Kohler CH-series starters accessible, they cost less than half of a starter for a K482/K582 twin.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow, you do some great work. I checked out the whole album.

Two questions, where'd you get that new nylon steering bushing? and can I borrow your steering wheel puller? That is a good setup. I've tried a couple wheel removals with no luck...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The nylon steering bushing was custom made by a member here. I am sure he will pipe in or IM you if he has more or wants to make more.

Do you mean borrow the idea, or do you actually want to borrow the one I made? I think postage would be more than the materials cost :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah, I'll try to make up something that works... I can't weld.

Have you ever seen a weld job so bad, that the welded area is all melted away? yeah, that was probably me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Looks Good.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Curious what exhaust pipe did you use?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The header pipe is a stock Kohler part, just a straight-across pipe with two exhaust flanges on it.

Then, I bought a mandrel-bent tube elbow from Columbia River Mandrel Bending in Oregon, and a piece of slightly larger tubing to force over it to make the O.D. 1-3/8".

I welded that all up, and bought a muffler from TSC. It could stand to be a little quiter, but it does sound good.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Nice job on that engine fit. You do fantastic work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts