My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another project to get started.Bought a parts (no engine) 1855 a couple years ago to get the PTO parts out of it.Pretty decent looking tractor with 3pt now I'm thinking of putting a Briggs 16Hp single cylinder in it because they run cheap and I have lots of Briggs engines,other choice is a 3 cylinder diesel out of a Ford 14D.Anyway has anyone hooked up the driveshaft on one of these running it direct to the hydro as I don't want a PTO?Guess I'll make up a driveshaft with U Joints on both ends.

·
22,335 Posts
The MF14/16 and MF1450/1650 with the low crank locations in the Kohler engines all run with direct to hydro shafts. The Onan with it's more elevated crank in the 1655/1855dictated the belt drive requirement for the hydro drive shaft.

That's something to consider in your plotting and planning with the diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll definitely be on an angle but with top grade U joints on either end I figure it'll work as big trucks all have drive shafts that have a a lot of angle.The plus side is to get rid of the belts,bearing and adjuster on the original set up.But as they say the proof will be in the pudding(LOL)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
A few years back Olecowhand put a 2 cyl Briggs in his 1655 and ran the hydro shaft direct but it did seem like a lot of angle on the u-joints. Olecowhand had posted pics of his on here so you might look back in old posts. When I had some belt issues with my 1855 (was sold the wrong belts) I toyed with the idea of useing sprockets and a chain instead of the belts.

·
22,335 Posts
It'll definitely be on an angle but with top grade U joints on either end I figure it'll work as big trucks all have drive shafts that have a a lot of angle.The plus side is to get rid of the belts,bearing and adjuster on the original set up.But as they say the proof will be in the pudding(LOL)
The truck drive shafts have a lot of angle in relation to the ground, not so much to the engine crank and differential pinion. Here's some reading on the subject.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_111606.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts