My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 185 Hydro in trade for some work I did for a customer and today tried to tackle the "Hard Steering" issue.
1st order of business was to remove the steering arms.
I got one side off no prob but the other side is...FROZEN ON!
I got it to the point where I can turn it a bit but when I go to pound it out it gets stuck...BIG TIME!
Try as I might, I cannot get the sucker off!

Any Ideas?

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its part number 8.... FROZEN on!
I was thinking of something like a gear puller or Steering wheel puller...or that Pickle thingy!

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
So it's frozen up into the front axle part# 13? Have you removed the C-clip ? If yes to all of that, I'd brace the axle from underneath on the frozen side with something solid, then take a solid rod (or a hardened socket) the size of the shaft and pound it down from the top with a BFH. Of course you could shoot a bunch of grease into the fitting there to help things along.

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's frozen up into the front axle part# 13? Have you removed the C-clip ? If yes to all of that, I'd brace the axle from underneath on the frozen side with something solid, then take a solid rod (or a hardened socket) the size of the shaft and pound it down from the top with a BFH. Of course you could shoot a bunch of grease into the fitting there to help things along.
Did ALL of that...WONT BUDGE!
Gonna try the torch approach next...

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
Part # 7 ......... don't think the PO knew what that was for or he wouldn't be in this mess now :sidelaugh

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it!!!!!!!!!!!

After about 20 rounds of pounding, applying heat, pounding, applying heat...repeating...repeating...it came out!
YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
VICTORY!!!!
lol
Seriously though, that was a DOOZIE!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi: I know this is an old post, but I have a variation on this issue. I can barely turn the steering wheel when the tires are on the ground. When I jack the front end up, I can steer it with one finger. What's binding???

·
Registered
645 Posts
Try greasing the spindles but do it by actually removing the spindles from the axle, removing all the old nasty, dried grease and putting in new stuff. While you are in there, look under the front end for bent steering parts. If that doesn't do the trick come back for advice.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.