My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of these in the shop, im baffled..I cant figure it out.

Starts fine, has a decent idle, but after a few moments it surges and misfires, blowing a flame out the pipe as it does it...its like it surges...and bang.....surges...BANG...

It also seems to be smoking black while it does all this..

Carb is clean...
Fuel is fresh
New plug
New Ignitor
Checked flywheel timing, its dead on.
Have isolated all safety switches, no change

Im about to go check the valves...

Beyond that.im stumped, its got the, I think 17hp Kawasaki Single OHV...about a 1992 model I think,.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The valves would be my next thing to check also Red.Maybe not enough clearance on the exhaust valve or possibly not making a good seat or hanging up in the guide.Let us know what you find.BILL

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cylinder leakdown was under 10%....strong motor!

Valves looked okay, maybe a hair loose, I set them to 0.005" cold....

Still runs the exact same....ugh

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed main jet...

i dunno...another symptom is, the exhaust gets really really HOT...even though its runing rich...the exhaust stream at 1/2 throttle will burn the heck out of your hand from over a foot away, its like fire. My cub and WH, even after a long hard run, dont do that and they have the same size pipes and engine power.

What models did KW put the plastic cam gears in?

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Igniter? May be bad.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Got to be the Coil/ Igniter

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I did see one with a similar problem several years ago same model 185 a friend of mine owned and had the same suspicion about the cam.He didnt want to open it up and sold it as a non runner,so I never did find out.I would be interested to know.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Igniter is brand new from Deere..

I think its the coil, but its a 75 dollar leap...just like thr igniter was a 87 dollar leap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts