My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 106 drive on a 30" rotary deck. It's a right hand drive (looking down, the blade turns clockwise). I'm waiting on a 185 drive to arrive in the mail (it's the 4 bolt flavor). Is this a right hand drive as well? Or a lefty? The reason I ask is I saw an auction for a 30" rotary with what appears to be a 185 drive, but the blades look like they're left hand ones.

I don't think it really matters which way it turns, I'll be mounting the 18" saw on it. Was just wondering.

Thanks,
Whitt

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
I currently have a 106 drive on a 30" rotary deck. It's a right hand drive (looking down, the blade turns clockwise). I'm waiting on a 185 drive to arrive in the mail (it's the 4 bolt flavor). Is this a right hand drive as well? Or a lefty? The reason I ask is I saw an auction for a 30" rotary with what appears to be a 185 drive, but the blades look like they're left hand ones.

I don't think it really matters which way it turns, I'll be mounting the 18" saw on it. Was just wondering.

Thanks,
Whitt

Whitt- I don't recognize that number "185". Do you have a pic of it? Or is there an e-bay pic of it? I think you are describing the model 58,58A gearbox which mounts to the deck shell with 4 bolts and is a right turn deck. As a matter of fact the only "lefty" 30" deck that I am aware of is the original model 52-57 deck that had a rotor plate on top of the gearbox that turned with the blade. It is about the size of a 50 cent piece. - Kris :rauch10:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kris - Here's the auction I won, and in the first pic it sure looks like 185 right under the word "model". It is a 4 bolt drive, but it looks like it has a plug in the top and not the disk you described.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150359706545

Also, does this drive have the nads to run a saw?

Just as a side note, the drive head on my current 30" deck doesn't even have the word Model in the casting, let alone 106, but it sure looks like a 106. How consistent/accurate were older Gravelys in their model numbering on the castings? IIRC, there is a long number on the input shaft casting on my 106, but it doesn't look like a model number. I can check, and/or post some pix if needed.

*update* Just checked and my "106" does have the word "Model" in raised letters on the right side of the input casting, but only a raised blank square after it. On the left side of the input and on the right side of the drive head looks like a stamped serial number.

Whitt

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Kris - Here's the auction I won, and in the first pic it sure looks like 185 right under the word "model". It is a 4 bolt drive, but it looks like it has a plug in the top and not the disk you described.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150359706545

Also, does this drive have the nads to run a saw
Whitt

Yes, that is the model 58,58A gearbox which was Gravelys 2nd one that they made. It is known for cracking at the bottom of the casting where the studs are. The stress was to much for it when mounted to the mower shell. The improved gear box Gravelys 3rd and best ever made was the 601/106. If you had asked before bidding on that auction I would have advised you to pass on it go after a 106 but for a saw it should be fine.

- Kris :rauch10:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kris. I already have a 106 with matching deck for mowing, so this 58 drive will be used exclusively for the saw. Also, I found MTF after I won that auction. Been reading through the Gravely section as time permits, tons of good reading.

Whitt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts