My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of fixing up my paps old 180... Like giving the fenders and hood a coat of paint, patching the bottom of the bagger, stuff like that. Any tips, ideas, help, etc?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Dunno if I'd be painting the hood, as it IS plastic.... How badly scuffed is it? Maybe a good waxing/buffing....
:Stop: MY bad I did not know the the 180 ( and obviously the 185) had plastic hoods The 160 thru 175 had fiberglass. !! :sorry1: Dane

·
13,948 Posts
I don't THINK they're fibreglass.... The hoods on my 110 and 112 ARE fibreglass, and they are noticeably different than my 160. It's like, polycarbonate plastic or something... I did a bit of a search and found a couple of examples where people tried to do repairs on the STX 38 hoods with fibreglass, with not good results... I guess you CAN paint them tho, here's a youtube video of a guy painting his 160 hood... He sanded and primered it, but didn't do any filling... In his final video, it looks pretty good... Shows ya what I know... :)

edit: I do know that, where the 160-180 hood gets badly scratched or dinged or worn, its black underneath the surface... Where the 110 hood gets dinged, you can see the fibres underneath the surface... Don't ask how I know this...

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
LTG you know I painted and filled Rusty's and I'm pretty sure it is fiberglass !!

·
13,948 Posts
LTG you know I painted Rusty's and I'm pretty sure it is fiberglass !!
K, I can see painting it, I just don't think they're fiberglass.... However, I can't find any definitive sources one way or the other for the 160-185 series... Looks like by the early 90s, tho, the STX's and LT series were plastic.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is plastic, and it has stress marks.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
My 185 hydro is fiberglass. Are you sure you don't have a L180, or LT180?

·
Registered
615 Posts
They seem like a different type of fiber glass then what other jd's use. I have painted them before, with good results. I would say go for it!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope to inherit this tractor soon, as my gram and pap have turned into snowbirds.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
My 185's hood is definitely fiberglass cause I had to fix it. It does seem different somehow than my 110.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts