My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I did OK 90% of the time snowblowing with just the rear plate weights on my 180. Question: I do have the front wheel weights that were made for this series. Do you think those would help with traction or simply shift the weight too much forward making rear traction worse? Anyone run with those front weights for snow work?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Owners manual calls for front weights for better "stability and steering control" when you're using the rear-mounted bagger or dump cart... I think they would hinder your traction situation, and wouldn't improve your steering on snow anyway...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think if your tractor has a float function it would help with steering control some. I know I will be filling all 4 tires with fluid next season and it is nice to not have to use my brakes for steering.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Not really a "float" function on the 180, as its a manual lift blade (unless you count setting the height on the mower height so that the blade doesn't go all the way down)... And only single disk brakes...

Filled tires plus chains is the next option for better traction in the 180.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
if you need traction when turning just lift the blade/blower while turning, makes it act like its 4WD!

easier with power lift but doable with manual!

on some (my345) you can set the deck height adjustment to make the blower sit just slightly above "full down" without all weight on the blower skids... helps when steering...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Adding front wheel weights will not change your rear traction whatsoever It only helps in steering. Wheel weights only add traction by increasing the pounds per square inch on the tires contact patch. Since the tire is on the ground already, with of without weights, the tractor itself doesn't know the difference. All other weights added above the axle such as suitcase weights etc change the tractors weight bias which can make a tractor nose heavy or light in the front depending upon where the weights are mounted, and how much. This is why wheel weights are your best bet for traction, and suitcase weights are good for ballast. Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Adding front wheel weights will not change your rear traction whatsoever It only helps in steering. Wheel weights only add traction by increasing the pounds per square inch on the tires contact patch. Since the tire is on the ground already, with of without weights, the tractor itself doesn't know the difference. All other weights added above the axle such as suitcase weights etc change the tractors weight bias which can make a tractor nose heavy or light in the front depending upon where the weights are mounted, and how much. This is why wheel weights are your best bet for traction, and suitcase weights are good for ballast. Adam
:ditto:Nailed it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My experiance with the 180; is that transmission Is not heavey enough to put any added traction on it . I have replaced about a Dozzen Shifter Keys for people that just over loaded them.. I personally would not take the chance, Now if It was a 185 no problem. Take care of the 180 It will outlast you. Over load/work it and you will out last it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info all. I'll pass on the front wheel weights and content myself with just filling the rears with some liquid ballast this year.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts