My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1994 I bought my first and only new car a 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. After all the years of driving it I finally have a replacement for it, I have driven this car into the dirt and it still comes back for more but as time went on it was getting harder to find replacement parts and I finally decided to find another car for driving to work with a 100 mile commute everyday (50 miles each way) The Plymouth has over 270,000 and most folks say that it was a disposable car, I always challenged this and showed proof by taking the person to the car and showing its odometer. You know the proof was that.

Well a couple a weeks ago I was on the internet on Craigslist and found a ad for a 1998 Buick Park Avenue and I decided to answer the ad. In 15 minutes I received the phone call and I made the trip to the cars location. I was impressed by both the shape the Buick was in and the mileage of 57,000 miles. I agreed to the asking price and went to Credit union and took out a check for the price from savings account, I next contacted my insurance company and had the insurance placed on the car and went and picked up the Buick.

I have never had a real luxury car and this one sure has it. What is really nice is the fact that it is so quiet on the on the road. It seems that the prior owner was a retired couple that no could drive and they bought this car new so a on owner clean car. I figure that I can get at least 5 more years out of it until I retire and this will work.

So I went from crude but effective to quiet and nice with the same gas mileage.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Good for you, Michael.

I have no idea why you would think the Acclaim was intended to be a disposable car. It was one of the last basic simple cars. I've heard of people racking up tons of miles on them and their older cousins the Duster.

That Buick looks to be in very good shape. My parents did a similar thing many years ago when they got their first and only "luxury" car. Bought it from a couple in a retirement community. Big 5 year old Pontiac Bonneville with everything.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you, Michael.

I have no idea why you would think the Acclaim was intended to be a disposable car. It was one of the last basic simple cars. I've heard of people racking up tons of miles on them and their older cousins the Duster.

That Buick looks to be in very good shape. My parents did a similar thing many years ago when they got their first and only "luxury" car. Bought it from a couple in a retirement community. Big 5 year old Pontiac Bonneville with everything.
I was only saying the fact that most folks do not know that the Plymouth is NOT a disposable car but what some folks have said to me over the years. In my eyes the Plymouth is one of the best cars I have ever owed and the most reliable. The wife and I have been discussing what to do with it and even though this is a bit far out we are going to rebuild it. Reseal the engine, it is leaking oil all over, compression and leak down test of the 3.0 liter V6 shows that the engine is still strong with no major issues and then go after the body and repair all it's battle scars and then a refreshed original color repaint.

The interior of the Plymouth is still in great shape with no obvious wear otherwise then the instruments needles are faded out from years of sun exposure. I figure then we can go to the car shows and show what a high mileage car can look like. :thThumbsU

The Buick is now the daily driver and I like it. It is sure nice to drive down the road and not have all the road noise that the Plymouth had.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
My last new vehicle was a '91 Dodge Dakota 2WD pickup. I drove it for 16 years and the tranny finally died at a 1/4 of a million miles. It was a good solid truck, never really hit me for much money, but at 250,000, it was worn out all over, just not worth fixing. Since then I've been driving an assortment of beater cars, 1st an '86 Taurus, then a '93 Caddy, and most recently a 2001 Plymouth Neon. The Caddy was really nice, after owning 3 trucks in a row, the ride and quiet was a pure joy. I put over 80,000 miles on it in about 2 years and had to part ways with it because it was starting to cost serious money to fix up. So I know the feeling you have in your "new" Buick. Great car to take long trips in, won't wear you out with road noise, bumpy rides, etc. I hope you get to enjoy it for many years.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That is a great looking car, the color is great!

I had a 1993 Dodge Shadow with the same 3.0 engine. The engine had a lot of power and as light as the car was, it would give great mileage and accelerate very nicely too. They're hard to beat except for the electronic shift transmission. The lock-up torque converters were a real problem.

Anyway, congratulations on the new car. It's looks really good. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
If you use 10w-40 instead of 5w-30 you should get 300,000 miles out of the 3.8 with no problem. My Lumina is ready to roll over 238,000 and am thinking about the Park Avenue for it's replacement. A word of caution. The 1997 was an oddball with some parts that were only for that year. Expensive to fix.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah then I got lucky as I got a 1998 and not a 1997. What is hard to understand is the fact that the 1997-2005 models all used the same frame but I have seen a 1997 that had alot of minor things switch placement, temperature controls and the radios in different locations in them from the later model years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts