My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to get a 18" Whipper Snapper with a 5HP B&S on it this evening. Does anyone have a photo of this mower?

Snappers are THE hardest to get info on. I like them, but geez can a collector get a break!

Any members that have info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you can get a model number, Snapper has their manuals available for free download. They may be a sketch on the cover.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The "Whipper Snapper" was a creation of Jerry Shriner when he bought Snapper from Metro Media. It is a study in deceptive marketing. What it really was is a 19" machine dressed up with a 5HP engine and "called" a 20". I bought a # of them when I was a dealer. One day, a customer pointed out to me that it really was a 19 incher- I had nothing to compare it to because the 19 was a poor seller and most dealers (me included) didn't stock them. Then they made a SP version of it which was a real POS- probably worse than the re-badged Murray's they're selling today at Sears. If the mower you're considering is a push unit, OK, but if SP, leave it alone and get a real Snapper.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "Whipper Snapper" was a creation of Jerry Shriner when he bought Snapper from Metro Media. It is a study in deceptive marketing. What it really was is a 19" machine dressed up with a 5HP engine and "called" a 20". I bought a # of them when I was a dealer. One day, a customer pointed out to me that it really was a 19 incher- I had nothing to compare it to because the 19 was a poor seller and most dealers (me included) didn't stock them. Then they made a SP version of it which was a real POS- probably worse than the re-badged Murray's they're selling today at Sears. If the mower you're considering is a push unit, OK, but if SP, leave it alone and get a real Snapper.
It was the original version 20500. Sadly, it was very abused. Owner described it as in great shape.

I got there the whole carburetor assembly was loose, the muffler was hanging on by one bolt and the front axle cover was bent down like someone had been running it into a wall.

The owner didn't want to budge of $60. I decided to remove the muffler to see what was damaged behind it. The muffler bolt was bent and the exhaust had been venting without backpressure for sometime.

My assessment was $25 as it looks like the parts for the motor are unavailable.

Walk away...

I just like quirky sub 21" mowers.

And yes, I like real Snappers!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow, that's a shame. Too bad it was misrepresented. :banghead3

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's a shame. Too bad it was misrepresented. :banghead3
Yeah, you know it...

You didn't have to drive the forty miles home with my wife! She was miffed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
wow, i couldn't imagine lol

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I also thought it was too bad it was misrepresented after I bought like ten of them thinking it was a 20" machine. Had I known what it really was, I would have passed, as the 19", while a decent little machine, was a poor seller. I still have a 19" ODLW309T that I use for trimming. It has no quick height adjustment and an engine mounted throttle. Problem was, by the time you added the bagging kit, a real 21" Snapper was only $30-40 more, and you had the handle mounted throttle control and quick change height adjusters to boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts