My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When I push the choke in on my 18 hp Craftsman, the engine dies. Would someone give me direction on what to do? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tractor is a model 917.255933
engine 422437 type number 1278-01
it starts and runs ok when you have the choke pulled completely out, but dies almost immediately if you push the choke in al all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dirt in the fuel filter or dirt in the carb, low float

definitley sounds like a fuel problem

closing the choke is allowing engine vacuum to pull fuel from the carb
and not the venturi effect , might just be some dirt in the jet.

make sure no flames no sparks while working in it...
disconnect the battery etc....

first pull the fuel line from the carb and see if you have a good amount
of fuel flowing, if thats ok pull the carb and clean it, rebuild etc...

check the float and make sure it floats....

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
Check / replace fuel filter but most likely you'll need to pull carburetor and clean / rebuild it. Do yourself and get a rebuild kit that includes parts for fuel pump. It will save you a lot of grief trying to save gaskets and often the diaphragm is stretched a little not letting it work properly.

To get proper kit you'll need to look at front of carb and see if there are 3 or 4 bolts going though the fuel pump body as they require different kits. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then take it to a shop.

I have the kits available on my website if you want to do it yourself. They really aren't that hard to do. Just lay everything out in a clean work place and pay attention how it comes apart.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,075 Posts
A couple of quick and cheap things you can try - there will be a hex head cap on the carb at the lower right hand side, remove it, let gas and crap drain out, shot some carb cleaner straight into the main jet located behind that cap. Check the vacuum impulse hose coming from the engine block to the bottom of the fuel pump for cracks, leaks.

Walt Conner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts