My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all having issues with a 18 hp briggs intek too much compression won't spin over enough to start watched. Many YouTube videos about it to see if one did something different adjusted the valves both to .oo4 still hanging up checked the keyway. It's good. Pulled the oil pan off to check the timing marks on the crank and cam which were good also checked the compression release on the cam which is there and functioning don't know what else to check

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Hello all having issues with a 18 hp briggs intek too much compression won't spin over enough to start watched. Many YouTube videos about it to see if one did something different adjusted the valves both to .oo4 still hanging up checked the keyway. It's good. Pulled the oil pan off to check the timing marks on the crank and cam which were good also checked the compression release on the cam which is there and functioning don't know what else to check
ur battey maybe too old & has gotten weak....try puttin a boster cable on ....also check all battery connections..it doesn't take very much corusion to make the battery weak..

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
ur battey maybe too old & has gotten weak....try puttin a boster cable on ....also check all battery connections..it doesn't take very much corusion to make the battery weak..
check beginning at section 17.35 of this document
web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/mtd-769-01415_electrical-2.pdf

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,174 Posts
Well the exhaust setting is not correct but that is not causing your problem. I can send you detailed instructions on setting the valves IF you like which includes a compression release test which may help identify a bad camshaft as well. Address below, put in proper format and remind me, model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
Have you had the head off or looked into the spark plug port? Could it be caked up with carbon or other material? Otherwise, ditto previous posts.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,728 Posts
Sometimes a battery cable will get very hot when you try starting an engine thats hard to spin over for whatever reason,and it then becomes more like a big resistor,than a good conductor....when I worked auto parts counters,many starters returned as "defective" were not,it turned out to be a battery cable that was overheated,or highly corroded inside...some GM vehicles used cable made of copper and aluminum and seemed especially suseptible to this happening,maybe some similar ones are used on lawn tractors too...going up in size to a heavier gauge cable wont hurt if you replace them..many are pretty skimpy on tractors,like 8 gauge,I prefer at least 4 gauge cables...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts