My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's a Craigslist ad in my area that advertises a old simplicity tractor, no model number, but looks like a 3400 or 7000 series, the guy swears it has a 18 hp B&S single on it, factory original, did they actually make a 18hp single back then, or is he mistaken Thanks, Frank

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Frank, I am pretty darn sure the Briggs 326400 series was the largest cast iron single. It was rated as 14, 15, or 16 HP depending on application.

I too have heard of the legendary 18 HP cast Briggs single from two separate people, but have found them both to be in error.

Get the engine spec number off the cowl, and we'll put this claim to rest pretty easily.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,163 Posts
An 18 hp cast iron single on an old Simplicity would more likely be a Kohler. As D-Dog said, never heard nor saw a B&S cast iron single over the 32---- Series which had the highest claim of 16 hp on Wards & Gilson.

Walt Conner

·
Banned
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally drug it out of him, that he had repowered with a newer model briggs engine, still wont answer me to which model, I ask three times if the 18hp was original and he said yes, until I pinned him down with B&S literature, sheesh, I'm actually interested in the tractor, cause it has a bunch of implements, but dang, I dont know now

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
If I liked tractor I'd buy it any way the notor thing you van sort out. Have you seen it? are you still interested ? That poor old man may not know what you want to know.Good Luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sovereign Model 7018—Hydro

18 hp (13.4 kW) dynamic-balanced Kohler
engine with built-in PTO
42” (1067 mm) or 48” (1219 mm) mowing width
Hydrostatic transmission with infinitely variable speeds:
forward 0-7 mph (0-11.27 km/h),
reverse 0-4 mph (0-6.44 km/h)
3 gal. (11.4 litre) fuel capacity
Choice of rear tires: turf or agricultural