My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks GT_80. I ended up going with the Onan expert (boomers_influence) for the parts. I have a new condenser, points and wires coming next week.

New questions:

I have always had concerns how the PO had the choke cable secured to the air filter housing. While I had the assembly disassembled to work on the points I decided to clean up all the parts and resolve this issue. The PO had just used a sheet metal screw thru the housing and into one of the clips (item 23 in the Onan manual PN 518-0328) By now it has been so used and deformed it doesn't look like the other one. I have attached pics of both a good one and the one that is all deformed.

1 - How are the cables connected to these clips?
2 - What is the clip near the breather tube used for
3 - Do I need two of them?
4 - Does anyone have pics of these with the cables installed?
5 - If I need the second one, does anyone have one available?

Thanks,
ElSimon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Boomers parts came on Friday. Got out to work on her for a bit Friday night but it was Saturday between several activities and errands that was I was able to get it done. I started by replacing all the parts but leaving the air filter assembly and points cover off. When I tried to start it, it was doing the same thing it has been doing all along through this ordeal. It started after a cranking for a while. Would stay running for 5 seconds and die. Cranked it again and it would fire up and die. Finally after several times of doing this it stayed running!!!!

I then let it sit for a half hour or so to cool down and tried it again. Fired right up! Success. Let it cool down again and finished putting the points cover and air filter assembly on it. One last try to make sure it is working....fired right up. Drove it out of the garage into the open air and let her run for several minutes. I took a video of it but it is too large to send from my phone. Still working on that issue. When I get that figured out I will add the video to this post.

A great big shout out "THANK YOU" to Boomer. He knew what parts I needed, had the parts in stock, and shipped them out as soon as he got my check.

We are suppose to be getting a big snow storm over the next 24 hours ("expect 8~10 inches on the benches") so I should be able to test both machines and see if I got them running like I will need them to be.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Recently watched a Taryl video on a non starting onan. He pointed out that if you leave the key on when it's not running you may damage points if they happen to be closed. His video was funny. Owner just said it was no start. It had dead battery. Had a wire off light switch. Needed lights on for keyswitch to crank engine. Had no fuel. Top off carb. Bone dry. Opened fuel pump. No spring. He solved fuel problem. Found no spark. New condenser and known good coil. No spark. Finally got it running by filing points.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Frustrated...again.
Got snow on New Years day (1/1/2020). I plowed and plowed and plowed. Just about done (working on my wife's side of the driveway) and she died. I knew I was low on fuel so we pushed it into the garage out of the snow falling and headed down to fill my gas can. Got home and opened the gas cap and there was fuel in the bottom of the tank. I replaced the battery at the beginning of Winter after last Winter's adventures I knew my electrical system was good. The Ghost sat for about 45 minutes so she was cool. Filled the tank and started to plow again.

I should have mentioned that at the beginning of all the plowing I noticed the engine would surge a little. At the current time after refueling it is still surging possibly a bit more or I just seem to notice it more. After only a few minutes she died again real quick. Wife's side was mostly done so I pushed The Ghost back into the garage to deal with it another day.

I also should mention that I took a tumble on Christmas day and bruised my rib cage and with the cold I have I hate to cough or even sneeze sue to the pain. Tonight I got home after dark and started The Ghost up to clean up the areas I missed. She ran fine with just a slight surging then died. After a few minutes she started right up and I put her to bed. I was tired of the fight and she wasn't behaving.

So.....What causes the surging? What would be causing her to shut down? I think I will stop and get a new fuel filter, this time one that is clear so I can see if there is stuff in there.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could be a little bit of crud in the main jet of the carb. I was fighting with a push mower at work that wouldn't stay running, hard to start, or would run for a while then quite. Took the carb bowl off, the mounting bolt was also the metering jet and it had a small bit of something blocking one of the holes. Got that cleaned out and ran great after.

·
2,883 Posts
Surging is caused by a blockage as discussed by Orcus..if you take the carb off and clean it and it still does not clear up, it means that you missed something....there seem to be a lot of cheap carbs available on ebay and amazon...if you can't get it cleaned out check the cost of a new carb

·
Registered
36 Posts
For everything you need to know about small engine carbs and cleanign them I would refer you to the Mustie1 youtube channel. He's even done a few deere.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts