My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the starter is going bad on my 1782 with the Kubota diesel so I went looking for one,prices all over the place but some company in Georgia is selling a starter for that engine for $72 far cheaper than many places.I ordered one so the question is will I be sorry? has anyone tried these starters?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I purchased one over a year ago for my 882 from them and have had no problems yet. I even got a new one on the shelf for another diesel cub I will start to work on someday. Let us know how it fits and works for ya.

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOL - just replaced the starter on my 782D tonight. They use the same starter. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and upgrade the starter from OEM. It turns the engine over MUCH faster and makes it easier to start (assuming the glow plugs are good).

Here's an excerpt from a good link to do the upgrade:

"A very worthwhile upgrade for the diesel powered Cub Cadets is to add the newer permanent magnet gear reduction starter. This starter has nearly twice the power of the original one the tractors came with. Here are a couple part numbers to look for; Kubota # 37560-63010, 37560-63011, or 37560-63012. The OEM starters were made by Nippondenso and their part #s are 228000-0980, or 228000-0981."

Aftermarket versions of these starters are readily available on eBay now for less than $90.

The hardest part is getting the old starter out.... :banghead3 at least on the 782D, 882, 1512, 1572 and 1772. I don't have a 1782, so don't know what you are getting into with that one. You still have to replace the starter, and the above replacement starter does not have the nose cone to deal with in this tight space.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This starter looks to be easy to change out as I have the side panel off and its right out in the open including the mounting bolts.I never had any problems starting this tractor before the starter went bad always fires up after heating a little and turning over a couple times.The tractor is in overall good shape but was a VDOT unit in its earlier life and appears to be the original starter on it.Anyway I'll see how this one does and if its not powerful enough I'll just keep it for my 2182 that has the Kubota Gasser in it.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well installed the starter today unbolted just fine but couldn't get the front part out had to knotch the mount about 2" then the new starter was about 1/4" larger in diameter so I had to grind off some metal to make it fit right.Anyway got it all bolted up and it started the tractor just fine.Have to see how it holds up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts