My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I would have taken a picture. I started with PB Blaster and a dead blow and got nowhere. I tried wedging a block between the wheel and the frame beating it some more, nothing. then I tried a 2 ton bottle jack and 2 6' log chains wrapped around the wheel with boards on the back side with the jack putting pressure on the axle and beating on the back side of the wheel. Still nothing and it seemed as though I was running out of jack. The 2 ton only extends about 8" totally. By then I realized I wasn't making any progress. I went to my dads and searched for another solution and I found a 20 ton bottle jack. after I got it all rigged up and pressure applied I beat the living bejesus out of it, it budged about 3/4" and stopped. I dug and found a bolt smaller than axle to put between the pad on the jack and the axle. After finally getting it realligned and pressure applied I beat on it some more and still nothing. I was being careful not to put to much pressure so nothing would break but I was losing my patience and started really pouring the coals to the jack and POW!!!!!!!! The wheel, chains and bottle jack shot off and landed and 6' from the mower. About time. Just thought I'd share that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would it do that? I was pressing on the axle and pulling on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Man, lucky you weren't in the way. It is amazing how fused together those can get. I was going to take the tranny apart on my Massey 8 that I'm restoring but the wheel hubs would not come off the axles with a reasonable amount of force so I gave up. No real need for me to get it apart, just wanted to make sure it was all ok inside. Glad you got it apart in the end. A tech at the JD dealer told me that applying heat can sometimes break them apart but you need to be careful you don't overheat something.

Brian

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah applying heat usually aids in the process quite a bit but when you're close to seals you have to assume you're going to replace them. I would prolly used some heat if I had some to use.
I had a bolt through the 2 chains behind the bottle and one time I gave it a good whack the bolt popped and the chain smacked my arm. It's a wonder it didn't break my arm.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Its a good idea to pull the rear wheels off once and a while and put never seize on. We had a 165 seize up like that and never did get it apart. Had to replace tire with wheel attached to mower, not fun. Mechanic said to pull them once in awhile and lube the axle.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
I you have a welder you can wrap a 3 ft long 8 ga wire around the hub and hook the welder leads to the wire and have an induction heater...
Works real well....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah this thing has prolly never had grease on the axles and it has sat outside for at least 3 years. A lot of deere manuals say to put the di-electric grease on axles and crankshafts when installing pto clutches for moisture resistance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had trouble with the front wheels on my 165. They had never been taken off or moved in the tractors history. I finally let a pro do it. The back tires are still good and original.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure these are the original tires. there is plenty of tread but are weather cracked pretty good and all four are tubed. surprisingly the front wheel bearing were still packed with grease.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The funny thing on mine was that the front wheels had more than enough grease on them. Oh well, its done and it runs like a dream, better in some ways than the newer Craftsman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts