My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked the 175 this afternoon after moving it out of the shed and it sat for about 3 hours after which I tried to start it and when the key was turned to start nothing happened, after some time checking wires, grounds, battery etc it started when I touched the wire harness close to the ignition switch, wow what an easy fix, that is until I took the machine out on the lawn and tried the blade pto and the engine died, after which it then started right up and since then the pto won't work, I did the trouble shooting right up to unpluging the pto itself and with the unit totally unhooked the tractor still dies when the pto switch is flipped, now I find that when the tractor is running it is starting to miss and backfire from the exhaust running very rough. any ideas where I can go from here, ignition switch? PTO switch?

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that was checked, it starts ok but when you go from idle to full speed now the engine backfires out of the muffler, if you let it run it will slowly pick up but is starting to miss now and still when the pto switch is flipped the engine dies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I,m gonna go with tractor guy, sounds like a safety switch issue. either seat or brake, if the brake is set you can,t run the pto so start there, could also be the pto switch it self I have seen them do some wierd stuff.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
I'm going to hazard a complete guess at possibly governor or carb or both... Governor is supposed to (in my limited understanding) compensate for increased load on the engine when say, the PTO is engaged... Missing/backfiring out of the muffler COULD be fuel supply to carb... Only saying THAT because my machine started backfiring and running rough when my carb clogged... Full fuel system check, from gas tank through to carb is what I'd suggest... Again, a complete guess, with all the warranty that it implies (aka none)....

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I'm going with littletractorguy JD's need over 1/2 or full throttle when engaging the PTO. or they die.
I offer the very same warranty .

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to start looking at everthing either today after work or I will have all weekend to fool with it, the fuel may very well be a secondary issue from the backfire condition it could be running lean, also there is still the electrical issue from the no start condition when the key was first turned for about 20 tries, anyway everything will be checked, all ideas are well appreciated and I will have a busy weekend chasing all the gremlins that popped up suddenly, as the old saying goes, it worked great until it broke.
thanks

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just got the unit running again, runs like new just like before, the running issue was a bad spark plug, the new tune up kit that was installed last week came with one of those last a week plugs, good thing I saved the old one, as soon as I changed the plug the tractor fired right up and look ma, no backfire condition. However the same issue now is with the PTO, when the switch is flipped the tractor dies, even with the wires from the PTO unhooked the engine still dies so that leaves the PTO out as a culprit, anymore ideas where I can check, also I found the brake switch rusted closed.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
The PTO/seat switch interlock kills the motor if the PTO switch is on and the seat switch indicates you are not on the seat (I can't remember whether its open or closed). It does not matter if the PTO is hooked up or not; completion of that circuit grounds out the ignitor and kills spark to the engine.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I just put a new brake switch in Rusty. the PO had just jump wired it to by-pass the switch. ( solid rust like everything else on Rusty)
I forget how much $ cause it was in with a lot of other stuff.
The bad news is it's riveted on. My Dremel got it off okay, but I didn't have the right size rivets so I just used nylock nuts and bolt .
With the ignition on ( not running) and you throw the PTO switch do you hear a click @ the PTO?? ( it's loud enough you can hear it from the seat)

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats right, when I throw the switch the PTO clicks that is with just the key on, the switch for the brake is rusted closed and did just fall apart when I pulled on it, I am going to have a look at that next, thanks to all for helping.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
The new brake switches are all plastic ( grey) , but it got painted with all the other stuff under there, after rust removal.
Does the PTO turn by hand ??

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The PTO does turn by hand and when the switch is flipped it locks and would only turn by the engine if it would stay running.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
If your seat switch is stuck closed or has been jumpered that is your problem. When you get off the seat it closes the switch and completes the circuit to ground out the ignitor. Correct your seat switch operation and that problem will be solved. The brake switch will only inhibit the starter circuit.

·
Former CC owner
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was the issue, or one issue anyway. We now have our working tractor back, thanks for all your help the issue was the brake switch went when I parked the unit yesterday and after fooling with it it started to work, then the seat switch acted up and then while this was happening the new spark plug went for a spin causing untold headaches...

Any way, you were all very helpful and I found out a heck of a lot about this old but great tractor and thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts