My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You ever have one of those things that just won't come apart?
Something that should take 5 minutes that takes 3 hours (and counting)?

That's been the steering wheel on the 170 I'm parting out. The attaching bolt has fused itself to the steering wheel and shaft.
This bolt passes through a bushing embedded in the wheel and the steering shaft horizontally, a phillips head slot on one end and a 10mm nut on the other, the middle is a tight fit to the wheel and shaft bores, if you don't know what it looks like.

It's a strange bolt, soft enough to strip the phillips head easily and mushroom out when you use a hammer and piece of bronze to try to drive it out, but hard enough that any drill bit other than carbide has a really hard time getting through it.

The steering wheel on the 185 I'm parting out had enough clearance to get a socket on the nut so it was 5 minutes of work to get it apart, the 170 did not.

I think the 170 sat outside for a while and the bolt body is rusted to the shaft and wheel bushing with no way to get penetrating oil in there.

Long story short as possible, I used a Dremel to cut the nut off after the phillips head stripped out. The threaded end bent and mushroomed out when I tried to drive it out with a punch and hammer but the bolt did not move. Same with a bronze drift and a hammer (both with all kinds of PB Blaster and Kroil type stuff).

I cut away the plastic wheel below the spokes with an oscillating saw to get a better shot getting the bent end ground off with a Dremel flush with the wheel bushing and that was no help. I can get solid shots on the headed end and the threaded end with drifts and ball peen and it will not move.

So I decided to drill it out, I had one 1/8" carbide drill bit left over from a project at the shop and it was making good progress but it was short and eventually get into a bind due to interference on the steering wheel and snapped off.

The local machine shop tool crib store only had HSS/cobalt bits and they are making very slow progress.

The steering shaft etc that I will have apart after all of this is said and done will absolutely not be worth the effort involved and may end up in the scrap pile but it has become a matter of principle now.

I imagine everyone has a story like this so if you want to share it. I'd love to hear it.

Happy thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Had a similar situation on a Cub 149..the steering wheel was just frozen onto the shaft...I made a gear splitter out of some 1/4 inch steel, some 3/8 steel pipe and some long bolts and it still was not coming off..I was slathering it with ATF and Acetone...I couldn't use heat without messing up the steering wheel so I just left the splitter on it for a few days, and got another turn on the push bolt a couple times a day....after about 5 days it finally popped off

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Sometime a cutting torch or die grinder is only option. I pull shaft and steering wheel out as a unit. Did the drilling and hammer and punch, never again.

Reactions: 8888

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The special bolt locks itself to the steering shaft. I think JD did this to upset people. The only way to get them in or out is using a hammer and drift punch.
Hammer and drift punch hasn't done anything so far, but it usually does for this type of thing and I had high hopes for success with it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a similar situation on a Cub 149..the steering wheel was just frozen onto the shaft...I made a gear splitter out of some 1/4 inch steel, some 3/8 steel pipe and some long bolts and it still was not coming off..I was slathering it with ATF and Acetone...I couldn't use heat without messing up the steering wheel so I just left the splitter on it for a few days, and got another turn on the push bolt a couple times a day....after about 5 days it finally popped off
I forgot about the Acetone/ATF option. I have some mixed somewhere, used it on stuck pistons on a Ford 8N once. I may give that a try. I think the steering wheel is shot, just trying to save the upper shaft at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts