My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forums

I recently picked up a john deere 170 and have been restoring and fixing it up a little. It's just about finished, but the deck needs to be leveled and raised. It's sitting about two and a half inches too low. The tractor has a lot of wear and a lot of the pins are pretty loose, however, it shouldn't be that bad. With the threaded adjuster adjusted all the way up that side is just about right but of course the other side is way off. I've been toying with taking up the slot in the straps with weld or putting another threaded adjuster on the other side to pick it up. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,557 Posts
Welcome to MTF FrostyFeet! Lots of info here and great members to lend a hand, enjoy the site! You may want to take a picture of the lift mechanism so that we can see what's going on there. Here's some navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's the deck set at two inches, and then at four. It starts to come up on the side with the adjuster, but not enough, and it's still on the floor on the other side

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my 175 180 & 185 w/38 deck, the front draft arms went into the bottom or middle hole on the front of deck. That may help a little, but I don't think that's all of the problem.
What size are those rear tires?
Check the length of the lift straps to make sure you have the right ones. The 38 deck used one sized set, and the 46 deck (on 180, 185) used a longer set. Pics of the lift straps are shown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will double check on the length tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they're the right ones because they have the square holes in them. The front draft arms I have set to the bottom holes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did not notice the square holes - good catch. You probably have the correct shorter 38 lift straps.
In your pics, the front draft arms are in the top holes?
Is the button at the top of the deck lift lever working normally?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The draft arms were in the upper holes in the pictures, but that was after I was moving things around to try and find some improvement. They were in the lower holes earlier. The button at the top of the lever seems to be working properly. It goes all the way up to the lifted position and locks in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have any 175, 180, or 185s with 38 decks any more, so I'm doing this from memory. At this point, someone else will have to chime in with more suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts