My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the YTH22V42LS... just bought it a couple months ago. I took the deck off (fabricated deck) to clean the underside. Wash port is worthless... the grass was caked under it like it had never been cleaned. Anyhow, after I cleaned the deck I put the deck back on and re-connected the belt. Well this deck has 2 pulleys on one of the spindles. I put the belt on the top pulley. After 2 cuts the belt shredded some cords out and is no good anymore. Guess how much to replace the belt... $60 !!! holy cow!!!

for a belt? really?

love the tractor otherwise...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Is that parts and labor?

Is it possible you put the belt back on while it was on the outside of one of its keepers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
parts only... no keepers around that spindle

I will snap a pic of the spindle when i get home today...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, I just learned about the small pulley as well. I was lucky and my belt didn't break, but boy did it stink! My deck bogged down and I was able to disengage the PTO before it did any damage. I just had a mishap with my drive belt yesterday. I was trying to help my neighbor out by mowing her back yard for her. she has a small, steep hill which I didn't make it up. Somehow the drive belt got wedged underneath the transmission fan pulley. After I pushed my mower back to my garage, I tried to wedge the belt back onto the pulley to no avail. I ended up cutting the belt, and buying a new one. ($20.00) I was able to install the new belt, but the manual leaves a little to be desired in terms of how specific it is. For instance it never mentions not using the small pulley on the deck. The schematic for the drive belt is a little confusing as well. Hopefully they'll come out with some more detailed instructions for this stuff. I saved $20.00 by doing it myself. My dealer was not going to charge for parts and labor, just for pickup and delivery. I figured that I better learn how to do these things now.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The correct belts for any mower isn't cheap any more. slkpk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted to keep this thread going and ask a couple of questions for you LS series owners. How tight is your drive belt on your machine. I am now on my third belt. When I placed the new one on today, I noticed that there is a bit of play in the area of the transmission. There are 2 belt holders on either side of the transmission. My belt keeps jumping out of one of the holders. It is rubbing and causing excessive wear on the belt. The belt is loose when the brake is applied, so I just started storing my tractor with the brake disengaged to try to minimize the amount of slack that the belt has. I realized that it was like this from the factory, and if I hit a decent bump, the belt will jump off of the transmission pulley. That was what caused my original belt to get hung up. My second belt was about 2-3 weeks old and was shot. Very badly worn. The tractor is under warranty, but it will cost me $60.00 to send it back. Any suggestions? Is there anything that I can do at home? The pulleys are all tight and spin nicely. I'm thinking that there may be some overplay in the brake pedal which is causing too much slack. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I mowed with it today after I fixed it, and it ran perfectly, so I hate to send it back. Especially since they may not even find anything wrong with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts