My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a conversion from an old cast iron briggs to a 16hp Vanguard? My driveshaft is toast and needs to be machined and I figured now is the time to convert to a newer Vanguard engine. The engine on there now backfires leaks fuel and has problems firing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well as any comments.

·
Registered
334 Posts
hi jbain were have you been you have not posted in a while there is a place on line that sell kits for that but i will have to look to find it agin good to here from you agin :thThumbsU

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, and yea it's been awhile I've been in WV building my new house. I just retired from the Navy a couple months ago so I went to WV and the wife stayed here in VA working until I get it built.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rebuilt the carb, changed the points and condenser and gave the flywheel healthy dose of steel wool, double checked the gap on the points and it still runs like crap....time for an upgrade :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
jbain i had to set my air gap at 9 to make my 990 run clean though the rpm range but remember i change to electronic points i look at air gap as a way of timing the engine just keep trying diffent thing like that remember these engine are old and require a little tinkering to keep them running right :goodl:

note post what you think is wrong and we will try to help you lots of 990 owner here :trink39:

·
ROJ
2,183 Posts
as long as that high torque cast iron big block 16hp single briggs isnt running right the aluminum twin will be an upgrade but when the big single is running right i dont think the aluminum twin will be an upgrade.with that said,as long as you get the engine mounted so the drive shaft is straight the rest should be pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
as long as that high torque cast iron big block 16hp single briggs isnt running right the aluminum twin will be an upgrade but when the big single is running right i dont think the aluminum twin will be an upgrade.with that said,as long as you get the engine mounted so the drive shaft is straight the rest should be pretty simple to do.
Yeah I agree.

The original fuel tank wouldn't fit right and the new engine would have additional wiring for the fuel solenoid so you might need to change the key switch to accommodate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts