My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
16hp Onan welch plug leaking PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, I have a Wheelhorse 416-8 with the P216G Onan with 649 hrs. It runs like a top. However the welch plug behind the pto and above the crankshaft rear bearing plate is leaking oil and it looks like it vibrating ever so slightly in and out when it running at full throttle. I know the camshaft is on the other side of the plug. I would like to know if I can remove and replace the plug without pulling the cam which would be basically a major teardown of the engine. Will installing a new plug solve the leak and what kind of sealant would be best to use. It has some kind of reddish sealant on it now that is starting to deteriorate so I'm sure its contributing to the leak. Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Re: 16hp Onan welch plug leaking PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, I have a Wheelhorse 416-8 with the P216G Onan with 649 hrs. It runs like a top. However the welch plug behind the pto and above the crankshaft rear bearing plate is leaking oil and it looks like it vibrating ever so slightly in and out when it running at full throttle. I know the camshaft is on the other side of the plug. I would like to know if I can remove and replace the plug without pulling the cam which would be basically a major teardown of the engine. Will installing a new plug solve the leak and what kind of sealant would be best to use. It has some kind of reddish sealant on it now that is starting to deteriorate so I'm sure its contributing to the leak. Thanks in advance.

Tom

tom.
if it were mine i would be pulling the fan flywheel, and front cover.
that way i could assure myself that the cam thrust washer (plastic0
did not break and come out.
thank you boomer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that advice I think I will do that. I am relatively new to these Onan engines and I want to do it once and do it right.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
tom.
i just checked your toro/wheel horse site, you have NO onan manuals.
jump to the case / ingersool site, top of the page, there is a sticky site there.
go to case/ onan engine manuals.
this will help you with your tear down.
you will need a good steering wheel puller, or harmonic balancer puller to remove the fan flywheel.
if you have problems call me 651 437 2826, or e/ mail me.
thank you. boomer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks very much boomer, I really appreciate the help. I will check out the manuals.
thanks
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts