My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16hp briggs and stratton 656cc twin cylinder. Engine fires right up and runs great...you think it's strong enough to run a husqvarna with a 48 inch deck? The orignal engine was a b&s 24 hp twin.

I have a 12hp tecumseh on a 38" mtd and it has no problem going uphill and mowing thick grass...will struggle sometimes when it's 12 in+ high grass.

Thanks for any input!

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
My AC is 16hp. but it's a garden tractor. A few horsepower will run a mowing deck. And a few horsepower will run the hydro trans also. My engine simply supports the Sundstrand Hydro trans. More power, bigger horsepower, would not really change anything. It would still take a few hp to run the deck + run the hydro. The important part for pulling power, is that the Hydro is supported as it creates torque to apply power through the wheels to ground. It's not about speed. Top speed 7 mph. It will crawl up hills while yawning at 1/3 throttle, or like that, all day long. or faster if desired. I find slower to be more entertaining.

So, yes, you are good to go. What's the Husqv, is it gear trans or hydro. Either way, should be fine.

I think it would work for you. But I don't know the details of your transmission, etc. If you have this motor and require a replacement for the 24, I would say proceed, if it will fit everything.

My 16hp is a Kohler K341, castiron single, 1979, Allis-Chalmers 716H. 48 deck.

·
22,173 Posts
I have a 16hp briggs and stratton 656cc twin cylinder. Engine fires right up and runs great...you think it's strong enough to run a husqvarna with a 48 inch deck? The orignal engine was a b&s 24 hp twin.

I have a 12hp tecumseh on a 38" mtd and it has no problem going uphill and mowing thick grass...will struggle sometimes when it's 12 in+ high grass.

Thanks for any input!
Your tractor requires about 2 hp. to make it go at full speed on level ground, and your mower needs maybe 8 or 9 for thick, normal height lawn. Your 12 hp. Tecumseh would carry the freight unless you deal with steep hills and 2' high wet grass.

Maybe cut the grass a little more often? There are lots of older tractors out there spinning mowers that are 54" wide with only 16 hp., and they are a lot heavier than yours. Gray's AC is almost as heavy as my MF1655 and both units have the same tranny. These hydros can deliver 14 hp. max to the ground and I have yet to max out my tranny at full throttle. Your transmission is nowhere near that strong and any horsepower left over from moving the tractor goes to the mower.

Out of 16 hp. available, you probably have 12 hp. for the mower while climbing a 25* slope. At 4" of mower per horsepower, no sweat. The old 3 1/5 hp. walkbehinds cut 6" per horsepower.

If it bogs, slow down. You'll get more seat time.

Bob :rauch10:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts