My Tractor Forum banner

16hp Briggs

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Walt 2002 
#1 ·
I need some help. I have a 16 hp Briggs that has sat for about 8 yrs. Ihave no fire. I put on a new coil an d still no fire. Idon't know alot about these electroinic(sp) ign jobs. would take all the help I can get.
Thanks

#5 ·
First step is to go the the B&S website and get the owner's manual and the IPB.

Looks like this one has points and a magneto.

So, make sure the flywheel magnets are still magnetized (I have heard of them getting weak but never personally experienced it).

Check the coil to flywheel clearance.

Check your points - they may be rusted shut. If not, check their condition and gap.

Condenser may be bad.

What the heck, buy new points and condenser, along with plugs and filters.

Is the kill wire grounded? i.e. in the off position?

#6 ·
"Code 87090817"

"Looks like this one has points"

I don't believe any B&S after 1985 (or a year or two before) has points. He said he had replaced the coil and should know if it did.

You need to clean the mounting points on the engine block and the coil bright. The coil has a right side up, if it was not marked, let me know and I will tell you how it goes. After that, disconnect the kill wire at the base of the coil and see if it has spark. IF NOT, coil is bad, new or not. Well check air gap between the coil laminates and the flywheel magnet is .010" or very close to that and that the flywheel magnet has strong pull.

Walt Conner

#8 ·
"what did I do wrong in grabbing the IPB?"

I don't know. I tried to look it up on my CD but it appears my CD has been corrupted, I will have to get a new one tomorrow.

I see what you mean. The type number seems to indicate that it does or DID have points. I have always been told and believe that about 1983-84 was the cut off and after that 8 hp and up at least B&S engines used CDI Ignition Units. I have had some of these with points but I think I generally converted them.

Perhaps we need to see WHAT coil he put on. I would think that if the old one had wires running under the flywheel, he would have known - so did it or didn't it?

IF the current one is a CDI, it will have a "slug" between the wire coil core and the laminates on one side, this will be the "trigger".

Walt Conner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.