My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 48"mower deck on my 1650 set for mowing today. It needed new blades & a bunch of excess steel cut off at the skids. The blades turn freely by hand & there is no play in the bearings. But when I turned on the pto, it sounds like a small crop duster. This is the first Massey/Snapper I have had & I am not familiar with the mower decks. I mainly collect Cub Cadets. There is no grinding or rubbing noise, it just sounds like a small prop plane. I had the belt covers off at first, & then I put the only one I have back on, but it didn't get any quiter. Is this normal? How loud are these decks when operating? It did an excellant job cutting, but loud. Let me know what anybody thinks. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cannot say that I have a lot to compare with as my Snapper 1600 is my main cutter now. I would think that the cogged pulleys are louder than a v-belt driven deck. Hard to say just how loud your prop plane is. Just make sure there are no teeth missing on the cogged pulleys. I just rebuilt my deck and replaced all the cogged pulleys with newly fabricated ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey farmgineer! Did you make the pulleys yourself or did you get them somewhere else? I have a 54" deck that needs all three pulleys (as well as both belts, bearings, blades and drive shaft). Let me know where you got them.

Thanks,
Canie

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 1855 which is basically the same deck set up as yours. While this deck is louder than a riding lawnmower i'm not sure i would call it a prop plane noise lol. Recently mine had gotten real loud but after replacing the bearings in my deck its back to its normal roar.

I'm sure you have already checked but i'll mention it anyway....

all your blade bolts are nice and tight?

Did you check to make sure the blades were balanced?

The gear box on top of the deck would also be something i would check.

You can also get belts and the center pulley here http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=snapper&mn=7060370+-+54"+Mower+Attachment+(MF)&dn=5779

I don't know where you can find the outer cogged pulleys unfortunately

1 - 5 of 5 Posts