My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to fix the transmission leak in my hydro and fix the slop in the steering.

Well when I took it apart for these fixes I found that the steering column just came right out of the gear box. I decided to make a new column and do the super steering rebuild with a new stud follower, bearing at the top of the column and a thrust bearing and thrust washers on the pivot.

I also found that there was a lot more rust than what I realized. I use this tractor to plow snow and I just can't replace it with the hydraulics as cheap as it is to fix it.

Looking at everything else, I thought it needed cleaned up:

I took off all the tins of the engine and repainted them:

I treated the major rust:

Now everything else is primed and will be getting ready for final paint:

I have now built a paint booth to try and keep the bugs out!! I still have to cut my furnace filters in:

:thThumbsU

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Wow !, you defintley putting some work into this project and it's looking great, can't wait to see the finished results :fing32:.

:thanku: for the pics and tutorial ! .

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Great paint booth idea. I have thinking about try to make something like what you did that could be temporary or easily set-up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great paint booth idea. I have thinking about try to make something like what you did that could be temporary or easily set-up.
There is a lot of info about this online. I am going to cut furnace filters in the back on the high side and in the front on the low side. I will also put a fan on the outside in the back, blowing air in through the filters. This should make it a 'pressurized' downdraft booth and keep the fan motor out of any potential spark vs. chemical issue.

I will also bring home a couple of the big fans from work to just keep the air moving around in my shop so the fumes shouldn't build up.

Plus it's all put together with screws so I can take it down and stack it in the corner and all I'll have to do is possibly replace the plastic. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up my paint today. Iron Gard Federal Yellow and IH White 935.

Tomorrow I start wet sanding :trink39:

Didn't get anything accomplished on it today. The brakes went out of my truck yesterday so I spent the day replacing a brake line.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
awesome progress thus far!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, last week I bought Iron Gard from the dealer to start spraying this weekend. They carried the IH thinner for it and a new Valspar hardener, Renew. They said most people just went and got an automotive hardener.

I checked with a couple of the local NAPA stores that I knew used to carry and mix paint, and neither did anymore and just had some stuff on the shelf, but couldn't tell me what might work.

I work close to a Sherwin Williams Auto Paint supplier so I went in there today. They were very reluctant to sell me anything to put in the Iron Gard paint as they were afraid as to how it would dry or stick. I did appreciate the fact that they just weren't interested in the sale. I asked them how much their paint was and it was almost 3X the Iron Gard.

Later I called them and asked if they could cross reference a NAPA # and if they could, I was going to buy some reducer and hardener from them and take my chances. When I got there, they offered to match the price of the Iron Gard so that they knew the reducer and hardener would be compatible.

I quickly called the implement dealer where I bought the paint and asked them if I could return it if it was unopened and they said I could. Sooooo, I bought the Sherwin Williams and will hopefully be trying it out this weekend.

This will be my 1st attempt, but I'm one of those guys who gets pretty anal in my research so I hope it all turns out.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Looking great. I'm doing the same thing right now. Mix the paint thin. If you pull the stir stick out of the mixing cup and it takes more than a second or two to run off...it's probably too thick. Not a scientific analysis, but on the thin side is better for a orange peel-free finish. Build it up patiently and really watch the edges. It's easy to have "dry" spots.

Here's a video of where I am on the resto of an old Sears Suburban:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wMcFb3wVTY

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I mixed the Sherwin Williams paint at the ratio they recommended, 4:2:1. Well that was too thin and it didn't cover well and ran :banghead3

So the next batches were at 4:1:1. It went on much better. Here is a few pics:

I'm happy with the way it turned out, I just hope it dries!! :trink39:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tonight's Progress

Here is what I got painted after I got home late tonight. The 1st pic shows the correct color, the others change with the flash:

Tomorrow night, the frame!! :trink39:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks good. I am going to try the spray booth idea when I paint my 604 Wheelhorse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Painted the frame tonight. I thought I had done a good job. I held that gun every which way, but I just don't have enough good light. After I took the pictures, the flash shows what I missed. The problem is, I don't know how I'm gonna get to some of it, even if I use a detail gun:

At least the seat mount came out nice:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
"Painted the frame tonight. I thought I had done a good job. I held that gun every which way, but I just don't have enough good light. After I took the pictures, the flash shows what I missed. The problem is, I don't know how I'm gonna get to some of it, even if I use a detail gun:"

This part makes a tractor resto take much longer. You really cannot get paint where you need to without taking everything apart. Even then, there were a few places on my Sears Suburban chassis that I couldn't get good coverage, and that's with everything stripped out. You'll end up laying way too much paint down on the upper surfaces just trying to get at the nooks.

Since you likely don't want to disassemble at this point, may I suggest going to an auto body supply store and have them load you up a rattle can of the paint you are using. Most places can do that now, and you should be able to cover over some more of that primer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While letting the frame dry and the paint to harden up, I decided to paint the bottom of the white parts outside. I figured any bugs wouldn't matter as it wouldn't be seen.

I got lucky and no bugs:

Hopefully tomorrow night we move the frame out of the booth and I can finish painting all the yellow. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to do some white tonight:

I did encounter a problem on the hood. It was like it has oil on it. I had the same problem on one of the yellow pieces and after it dried, I sanded it and repainted it and it came out fine. I guess I'll redo the hood when I do the front end:

Oh well, tomorrow I'm reshooting the yellow pieces that ran and I'm going to dust the fender pan again as there are a couple of dark spots.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wet sanded and primed the hood today so it's ready to repaint, but I have to wait for the fender pan to dry as I reshot it yesterday to get rid of a few dark spots I had:

I wish the bottom of the battery tray didn't look so bad.

I also reshot all the yellow that had runs and after I had everything cleaned up, I saw the tie-rods that I haven't painted yet. :fing20: Oh well!!

Even though I planned on waiting a month before assembly, I couldn't help myself to mock things up a bit:

Got to head out of town for a couple of days, so I'm done for a while. :trink39:

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Looking good. I am going to redo my 1250 one of these days. Except I am going to paint my red/white. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Rob has been following your build on you-tube and likes the looks!
He has had the problem with contrasting yellow over grey primer also, so he now spray's a fine mist of the red-oxide primer over the grey to help differentiate the two, it has helped I must admit. I thought that he was doing it just to waste off what little red-oxide primer that was left in the can, then he showed me the difference and he misses alot less area's now with the actual paint.

Merrie​

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad he likes the look, but that's not my build on you-tube he's watching, it's not on there :sorry1:

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
I'm glad he likes the look, but that's not my build on you-tube he's watching, it's not on there :sorry1:
Yikes..... Looks like Rob did it to me again, he has a habit of changing the pages on me, then not returning it to where I had it.
He's been watching "The Saturn V's" projects and I meant to write it on his rebuild. Guess I'll have to start looking before hitting the post button!!!

Any HOW, yours look great to keep up the great work :thThumbsU

Merrie​

1 - 20 of 62 Posts