My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 1650 that's in pretty decent shape. in the future, I'm sure I'll have many questions, but one popped up the first time I mowed with it this weekend: While mowing, the ammeter shows a current drain. I assume this is due to the magnetic clutch, but my 1610 doesn't show this. The 1650 battery drained pretty good over an hour long period. Any clues? I don't think this is normal.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The Elec PTO under normal conditions would NOT impact the charging system that severe. The approximate current draw is ~3-4 Amps.

To test the PTO, simply unplug the connector. If you electricaL system still discharges, then you have a Charging Issue as opposed to an Elec PTO problem.

Try that and let us know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the 1650 running, and the PTO switch off, the meter shows a charge. Charge rate is dependant on engine speed as expected, so the generator looks OK. When the PTO switch is moved to "on", the gauge shows an immediate and substantial discharge. I'll pull the clutch wire off and repeat this to see if I can find the source of the short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts