My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...help me figure out what to do w/ this. One of the two "rivets" has come out. I took a pic...I suspect all the pieces is there? If you don't mind, let me know if all the rubber grommets/plugs are there or if I need to find a new dipstick or pieces.

To fix the dipstick, I don't have a tool to put a new rivet in it, just soon not have to spend $25 on something I may never use again. What about JB Weld? I have not ever used JB Weld so not sure if that is the solution. Any other suggestions.

Thank you in advance, Justin

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
a correctly sized (length/dia) solid rivet from the hardware store & a ball peen hammer along with an anvil or such to lay the assembly on and dipstick should be fixed.
What I would be worrying about is where did the pieces of the old busted rivet go... right down into the oil sump ? If so, best drain that engine oil and replace asap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I thought about that too. I changed the oil immediately. Haven't felt around in the drain pan to see if it came out. Guess I could change it once more and see if it comes out this time?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, JB Weld ain't gonna fix that. First thing you know you'll have a pan full of it (JB Weld) too.

I think rcbe has about the best idea, if that doesn't do it for you then a small nut and bolt (machine screw) then peen the end of the bolt so the nut can't come off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
traded it w/ a friend who has some spare CCs. He gave me a "good" one and said he'd take care of this one. NICE guy! Thanks for all of the helpfull suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts