My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this 165 hydro. It was not running when I got it. Thought it would be an easy fix, but I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. I tried starting it this morning. It wont even turn over. The pto clutch was removed by the previous owner. It is just sitting in a box. I jumped it with a good battery. I was not expecting miracles, but I was at least hoping it would turn over.

This mower is a lot more complicated than my Murray. I really like it though.

Any suggestions? Sure would appreciate some help.

:thanku:

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
We will need more pertinent information than what has been submitted. Does the engine turn over by hand? Does the solenoid engage or even click? etc. etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will need more pertinent information than what has been submitted. Does the engine turn over by hand? Does the solenoid engage or even click? etc. etc.
Yes, engine turns over by hand, appears to have good compression. I do not hear any solenoid click.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Needs a starter relay. There is a kit you can buy at the dealer for ~$25. Classic 100 series problem. If you are handy you can build your own by following Brad's instructions here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=129440

That should solve that problem. But DO NOT try to drive it without putting the PTO clutch back on. The PTO clutch retains the pulley for the ground drive belt. They are both keyed on the crankshaft. If you try to drive it without the main pulley properly retained you could pop the belt at a minimum and there's more bad stuff that could happen. :MTF_wel: and :wwp:

There are a bunch of 100 series owners here so keep posting your questions and one of us has probably done it. If not, we'll make it up... :fing32:

·
Registered
FrankenDeere: 165 with FC420V swapped
24 Posts
If I recall correctly, one of the circuits that go to the PTO switch must make a closed circuit to enable the starter. It prevents the user from starting the mower with the blades engaged.

it will be the 3 connector plug on the switch. Yellow is your power wire from the ignition “run”. One (blue) sends power to the PTO clutch. The other (pink) should send power to the S1 tab of the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is selected to“Start”, power then goes to S2 of the ignition switch. Then out to the neutral switch (purple wire). If the neutral switch is working properly, the powerthen goes to the starting solenoid.

hope this helps

·
Registered
FrankenDeere: 165 with FC420V swapped
24 Posts
If you want it to turn over, for troubleshooting, jump the hot wire going to the battery to the small connector to the starter solenoid. As long as the ignition white wire (green at the switch) is not grounded (ignition switch in “off” position) it should turn over and maybe start running.

·
Super Moderator
35,973 Posts
If I recall correctly, one of the circuits that go to the PTO switch must make a closed circuit to enable the starter. It prevents the user from starting the mower with the blades engaged.

it will be the 3 connector plug on the switch. Yellow is your power wire from the ignition “run”. One (blue) sends power to the PTO clutch. The other (pink) should send power to the S1 tab of the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is selected to“Start”, power then goes to S2 of the ignition switch. Then out to the neutral switch (purple wire). If the neutral switch is working properly, the powerthen goes to the starting solenoid.

hope this helps
This is a 10 year old thread. Probably has it fixed by now! :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Not clear if @kakalika ever got this one started, but years later, he did get this one started

1 - 10 of 10 Posts