My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this yesterday,,runs but surges with choke off. Like it's lean on gas. Will run OK with choke on a little.

Figured it needed a carb clean. Well it's not that easy,,of course. Soaked carb overnight,,,carb kit installed. New gas filter too,,added fresh gas.

It does seem to be better but noticed a few things. Go from high idle to low idle and almost like slowed or no response sometimes. Will stay at high idle,,,then slow as it wishes.lol

So I adjusted the governor,,,,to no avail.

Pulled the heads and it looks to be running lean. Of course ripped a head gasket,,so going now to get new.

Thinking of getting a new fuel pump,,,but will wait for now. I can open main jet and don't seem to matter much.Closing it will choke it out. Will a fuel pump work half arse??

There's a few issues here,,I think. Was thinking of replacing all fuel lines,,,and draining old gas for new gas. Also removing fuel pump and cleaning.

But that does not help the slow idle response thing.(makes no sense because this is a sign of too much gas)

Whats going on with this??? lol Any clues??

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep sounds like air leak check the intake gaskets.....i had the same problem with a briggs and it was a intake gasket leaking.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The governor is responding,,or at least it seems it is working as it should.

Well ,,I have new head gaskets now,,,and I got the intake gaskets in the carb kit but did not take apart that far,,just removed carb from intake. So tomorrow I will change them.

I also bought a new fuel pump,,but I will see how all this go before I install it.Can take it back.

·
Certified Technician
8,513 Posts
Id back the idle stop out a turn and see if it will manually idle down.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id back the idle stop out a turn and see if it will manually idle down.
I have tried that. It is set at the point it needs to be from stalling,,when it actually gets to that point.

Sometimes it will idle right down when I move the control,,and others it still runs like its at full throttle,,and slowly idle down
All the control arms seem to be where they belong at minimum idle,,nothing moves that I can see when it does idle down on it's own.

The main jet needle has a grove in it from being adjusted,,,may be allowing too much gas,,,I have one on order now. But I don't think that is the problem here.

I'll change all them gaskets and fuel lines,also gas and see what happens.

If that don't work,,I'll start trouble shooting with money,,,,lol,,,(new fuel pump)

·
Registered
348 Posts
it almost sounds like there is something wrong with the governor...it sounds like the cam bearing on a onan when they spin but I know thats not it but that made me think of the governor....since its a Kohler i said maybe the governor is going out, I know that was a common problem for these motors blowing up the governor would go out and then take out the rest of the motor. I am not saying that is what is wrong for sure but its just something else for you to look into if its not a fuel or gasket issue.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it almost sounds like there is something wrong with the governor...it sounds like the cam bearing on a onan when they spin but I know thats not it but that made me think of the governor....since its a Kohler i said maybe the governor is going out, I know that was a common problem for these motors blowing up the governor would go out and then take out the rest of the motor. I am not saying that is what is wrong for sure but its just something else for you to look into if its not a fuel or gasket issue.
You could be correct,,,I'm not sure??? I can move the governor rod in and out ,,there is some slop. At least a 1/4 inch,,, I don't know if that is normal,,but it don't seem right.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was out working on this and realized I don't have intake gaskets,,so I called the parts dealer.

As I was on the phone waiting to see if he had them in stock,,I was staring at the intake,,,,,and noticed a hole in it!!! Looks like it has been there a long time,,maybe from factory. Right at the end of where a machined screw hole is,,from the inside. Looks as if they went too far with their machining,,and created a hole.
It's about the size of a BB. You think that is a problem??? LOL

I have some JB weld on it now. Took a picture too,,will post it later.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it all back together and installed new fuel pump.

It fixed the surging problem from lack of gas. It will now run with choke off. But it still ,,for some reason,,,,kicks in the governor. Hard to explain,,but a high idle it slowly hesitates to where the governor moves to pick it back up. Very long and slow thing.
About every 10 seconds or so,,,up and down. No matter what I tried with carb adjustment I could not get it to run steady. The governor is hardly moving to bring it back and this is not easily noticeable ,it does not cut out,,just a steady reduction and gain.

It also takes its time to idle down when going from high to low idle.I don't understand this.

I don't think its a carb issue anymore but I don't know what it could be. Anyone???

The way it is running is not too bad,,,but also not acceptable. I need to fix it,,,no matter what it takes.

Here is the pictures of that hole in the intake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I had three of those engines on stump grinders. They were a little cold blooded, and always had a slight surge at full throttle. They had fixed jet carburetors. OTOH, the engine on my 16G with its adjustable Walbro runs perfectly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
if you choke it any dose it smooth out? I know motors that are fixed jets can be a pain to get adjusted right and they are normally cold natured. but the hunting still sounds like a lean carb to me...just a thought

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you choke it any dose it smooth out? I know motors that are fixed jets can be a pain to get adjusted right and they are normally cold natured. but the hunting still sounds like a lean carb to me...just a thought
As far as choking it,,I didn't try so I'm not sure.

When you say fixed jet,,,Hmmmm? This is not a fixed jet,,is it?? I can adjusted high idle and low idle.

I do agree it sounds like a engine "hunting " for gas,,but its so long and drawn out between I just don't believe it looking for gas.,, and the idle down thing is just not right.
Turn the throttle down to low and the engine responds slowly.,,,

·
Registered
348 Posts
thought i saw it some were that you said it was a fixed jet sorry....plugs, mag. issue maybe hhmmm ill have to think some more...maybe a leak still some were... did the carb kit come with new jets? if not maybe they are bad and its drawing air in that way

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put new plugs in it. Pulled them today after running it,,,the left plug is dry and white as can be,,the other is wet. How can this happen with a shared intake?

I sprayed intake and carb down,and both needles,, with carb cleaner while running,,,did not find any leaks.
Got new needles on order too,,should be here soon.

I think now it is still a gas issue,,but I have no idea what it could be,,,cleaned carb again today.

If it is a spark issue ,,what can I do to test for it?? Is is possible this is running on 1 cylinder?? The right/wet plug not firing?? I find it hard to believe but haven't thought of it till now.

Every time ,,just before the governor has to pick the idle back up,,,it has a popping noise through the exhaust,,almost like a backfire,, but many in rapid order.

If I pull choke out a little now,,, while running it will lift the idle and smooth out but governor still goes up and down slowly like before.

It's got me stumped.

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep sounds like its only firing on one cylinder by the way the plugs sound....and that popping sound is that other cylinder trying to cut in.....I have that problem now with a M18 I have when its cold but once its warmed up it runs like a champ, I just have to play with the choke to get it to run at idle but once off idle it runs on both like its suppose to

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't get a chance to go look into weather it is firing on both sides. But I will tomorrow first thing.
Could it run this "good" on just one cylinder though??
I'm hoping this is the problem,,,cause right now I don't know how to fix it.(since I don't know why or what is causing this)

And if it is not firing,,,what could be the cause?? This has a Module on it. Just looked at price,,,,$118.

I have a $100 into it now!! lol Maybe more. Plugs,oil and filter,new gas lines,fuel filter,shut-off,fuel pump,,head gaskets,,carb kit,,,intake gaskets,,new needles,,and a air cleaner.

·
Registered
348 Posts
the spark plug could be bad or the mag. is going out but I would start with the plug first, also check the plug wires and make sure they dont have cuts in them that would cause them to ground out and not fire right....and yes it could run that good on one cylinder like i said about mine it will sit and run at idle just fine on the one cylinder but if i try to move the tractor it will almost die, and i dont have problems starting it any more than I do with any other motor i have.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
just today i had the 318 out to check it out before snow comes.two weeks ago i put sea foam in the tank.it ran with a bad surge on the gov.ran the rpms up for a while and cleaned it up.now runs fine.lots of things make engines run bad.sounds like yours might be a bad plug.thats what i would try first.cheapest way to go.sounds like you have some money in it so far.mine probably had a slug of junk broke loose from the sea foam.pull plug hold it on the head see if you get continuous spark.if firing out the side of plug replace.one thing before sea foam rpms were low.after sea foam rpms came up to nomal.dirt in system does funny things to engines.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just today i had the 318 out to check it out before snow comes.two weeks ago i put sea foam in the tank.it ran with a bad surge on the gov.ran the rpms up for a while and cleaned it up.now runs fine.lots of things make engines run bad.sounds like yours might be a bad plug.thats what i would try first.cheapest way to go.sounds like you have some money in it so far.mine probably had a slug of junk broke loose from the sea foam.pull plug hold it on the head see if you get continuous spark.if firing out the side of plug replace.one thing before sea foam rpms were low.after sea foam rpms came up to nomal.dirt in system does funny things to engines.
I will check the plug but its a brand new plug,,,will still check it out. I really doubt it though,,because it ran this same way with the old plug in it. But it could be the wire on that side too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts